Pot roast and Dutch oven Recipes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lumpy37

Assistant Cook
I just purchased a new dutch oven and have heard it is great for a pot roast. Would love to get some recipe ideas to test out. Anyone got any ideas. I am also wondering what cut of meat to get and if I should use a marinade with it first??

Any help would be appreciated as the wife really love pot roast.

Your timing is perfect, lumpy. Got one just about ready to come out of the oven.

I used a 2-lb boneless cross rib roast (cheap, with lots of fat on it). Salted, peppered, and thymed first, then browned it in some olive oil in my Le Creuset dutch oven (doesn't have to be this brand of appliance).

Took the meat out, then sauteed some mirepoix (diced onion, carrot, celery) in the drippings. Added a giant glob of tomato paste from that little can, but used only about half the can. Poured in a can of beef broth and a glug of red wine.

Let that all come together (didn't boil, but close). Put the meat back in, lid on the pot, and into a 300 degree oven at 11:30 this morning (it's almost 6 here now). Every a couple of hours I would take the lid off and turned the meat over - also turned the heat down to 200 after about 3 hours or so.

Just checked it again and it's lookin' real good! Time to think about what to go with it.............

Thanks for the idea. I will make that on saturday and let you knoew how it turns out. First time with a dutch oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom