Potatoes in the Pot Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nes

Assistant Cook
I usually do my pot-roast with an onion/carrot/celery (forget the technical name). I usually do mashed garlic potatoes to, separately but I'd love to be able to throw potatoes into my pot-roast pot.

Can I do that?
At what point in the cooking? (How long for the potatoes)

or will the come out mushy?

I know I just made them with my leftover oven roast (see "burnt hunk o meat") but they were a little soft, but that was partly because of not chopping the oven roast fine enough & having to simmer for a couple hours :S. Oops.

Thanks! :chef:

That's my husband's favorite way of having potatoes and carrots. I throw them in during the last 45 minutes or so, depending on how big they are, oven temp, etc. I like to throw in the small, peeled carrots, too.

As a matter of fact, I have a pot of beef stew (pot roast with the meat chunked up) on the stove in a Dutch Oven as I type this. I had figured it would take about 4 hours to braise my meat until tender, so I added my Yukon Gold potatoes (large cubes), onions and carrots 2 hours before the meat was to be finished - and that turned out to be just right! The potatoes are still whole (not turned to mush but tender)and so are the carrots. - 2 hours of simmering.

But if you're dry roasting in an oven, WyoGal is right - 45 minutes before the roast is done will do the trick.

AHHH pot roast love it.

never have cooked potatoes separted. they get so much flavor cooked with evertything. I use baby carrots, small onions, lil potatoes or cut them up all the same size of the rest., parnips if available, and stalks of celery (as family doesn't like to eat cooked celery, they don't mind its in there they just don't eat it) salt and pepper, lil roasmary, thyme, and a garlic clove or 2
I throw everything in at once seal it up good and then under cover last 1/2 hr to brown up. YUMMY

I also love the same thing only using prok roast or a whole chicken.

Back
Top Bottom