"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Has anyone tried Walmart's 100% beef (78% lean) frozen patties? Many of the reviews on this product seem very positive. These 1/4 lb patties can go directly from frozen to the grill.
I will be grilling appox 50 burgers, plus other items this weekend for my grandkids' Hawaiian themed birthday party so something like this will save me a lot of time. Most of the burgers will be topped with grilled fresh pineapple as well.
These 1/4 lb frozen patties come 32 to a box for about $22 which comes out to about $2.75/lb. Good deal if they're tasty as many reviewers stated.
My only caveat with grilling a large numbers of burger patties is that be careful of drippings causing a rather spectacular grease fire. Guess how I know this?

CD

Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
My only caveat with grilling a large numbers of burger patties is that be careful of drippings causing a rather spectacular grease fire. Guess how I know this?

CD
Yes, thanks. Actually, I'm thinking of hauling my 36" propane flat top griddle to the party and doing all my grilling on that. I'll use their Weber charcoal grill to smoke moink balls and bacon wrapped pineapple appetizers.

And on second thought I may just pick up 10+ lbs of 80/20 ground beef at Sam's Club. I can form them during the week and freeze them for the party.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #43
Executive Chef

After reading this thread I am drooling for a burger.....but it's after 10 PM and I would be up all night! LOL
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
After reading this thread I am drooling for a burger.....but it's after 10 PM and I would be up all night! LOL
When I went shopping at the beginning for the month, I bought about five pounds of hamburger. I made some Juicy Lucy 'bergers for the freezer. They all have a slice of cheese and small pat of butter in the middle . They weigh in at about half of pound. I had one yesterday. YUM!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #45
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
Most of the year I grill under a covered porch and can't have any big flare ups. I have gotten used to grilling most things in disposable pans and trays with a smoke box for flavor.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
Most of the year I grill under a covered porch and can't have any big flare ups. I have gotten used to grilling most things in disposable pans and trays with a smoke box for flavor.
If the food doesn't come in contact with the grates, where are the crust and grill makes coming from? I tend to bank my coals to one side to create a hot and cool zone or place a drip pan directly under the food, particularly when using a modified snake method with the rotisserie.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #47
Executive Chef

I have never bought premade burgers, but I do buy ground beef and make my own burgers for the freezer. I have found that they turn out best if I let them defrost naturally, not in the microwave, rather than cooking them frozen. Just my 2 cents. The best thing would be to buy the meat fresh each time I make burgers, but when there's only 2 people, there's going to be some meat leftover, and what other choice but to freeze it? I read of someone who used to brown the ground beef and then freeze it. If she was making a recipe that called for browned ground beef she used her frozen browned ground beef. I don't know about that one.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have never bought premade burgers, but I do buy ground beef and make my own burgers for the freezer. I have found that they turn out best if I let them defrost naturally, not in the microwave, rather than cooking them frozen. Just my 2 cents. The best thing would be to buy the meat fresh each time I make burgers, but when there's only 2 people, there's going to be some meat leftover, and what other choice but to freeze it? I read of someone who used to brown the ground beef and then freeze it. If she was making a recipe that called for browned ground beef she used her frozen browned ground beef. I don't know about that one.
You could make another burger and eat it the next day for lunch. Or add taco seasoning and make a taco salad. Or put it in a soup or pasta dish. There are lots of ways to use it up.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
I read of someone who used to brown the ground beef and then freeze it. If she was making a recipe that called for browned ground beef she used her frozen browned ground beef. I don't know about that one.
One of the cookbooks I have (I think it was a Beth Hensperger slow cooker cookbook) suggests doing just that. Brown a bunch and freeze it in 1 lb. bags to simplify things.

Microwaved cooked burgers aren't as good as those fresh off the grill, but they're OK. We almost always have a leftover burger, as it's usually just the two of us.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy 5 pounds of ground beef at a time. I portion it into 6-8 ounce patties and 6-5.33 ounce patties*. They are individually wrapped and frozen. I defrost exactly what I need for a meal and cook it. No leftovers unless it's leftover meatloaf or a casserole that will make a great lunch the next day.

*I make portions those sizes as they are the burger sizes SO and I prefer. They are also convenient for most recipes that call for a pound of ground beef.

Tags
other