Pre-Made Burger Patties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the tip, Chief. I was thinking about chili the other day. I usually use cubed boneless chuck for my red.

I'm thinking I'll break up the pre-formed pattys and re-form them loosely for grilling.

Add a small amount of milk to the broken up beef. The enzymes in the milk help tenderize it. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to give the milk a chance to do its job. You will have nice juicy patties. :angel:

If you mean the patties in a sealed up tube, no, I've never bought that. But if you mean the stuff that is sort of in 1/2 +/- pound blobs, meat tray, plastic wrapped, yes, I have bought that at Costco and it seems the same as the large 6 pound blob sitting right beside it. I buy the one that is sort of divided into 1/2 pounds when I plan to freeze some and divide some of the chunks into two for patties.

If you mean the patties in a sealed up tube, no, I've never bought that. But if you mean the stuff that is sort of in 1/2 +/- pound blobs, meat tray, plastic wrapped, yes, I have bought that at Costco and it seems the same as the large 6 pound blob sitting right beside it. I buy the one that is sort of divided into 1/2 pounds when I plan to freeze some and divide some of the chunks into two for patties.
exactly

Since I'm very good at forming things I form my own patties.
Besides, I was never a fan of pre-formed patties. They're too fast-food-ish in the way they cook.

Half-pound pattys do not look like fast foodish.

I've always formed my own pattys. this is the first time I've bought ready made. I was not expecting this difference.

One thing if buying frozen pre-formed patties in a bag is to buy a package you can see the contents. Some of those packs sit around and the patties are all dried out.

I have never bought pre-made patties. I'd suggest if you didn't like them, not to buy them again. Like CharlieD, I prefer to grind my own ground meats. I can control the fat content that way. And, with my electric meat grinder, it takes more time to get the grinder parts chilled than it does to grind a couple of pounds. Which reminds me--there is room in the freezer, I can just park the parts there so they are good to go the next time I want to grind meat.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the dreaded "Pink Slime"?

Costco is one of the outlets that swore off pink slime some time ago. I think it's just a matter of the patty making machine compresses the ground beef during the process of feeding the extruder. Not sure if the grind is the same. I'll have to check next time I defrost one.

Costco is one of the outlets that swore off pink slime some time ago. I think it's just a matter of the patty making machine compresses the ground beef during the process of feeding the extruder. Not sure if the grind is the same. I'll have to check next time I defrost one.

Next time you cook them do an experiment cook one thawed and one frozen.

To me starting with a frozen or partially frozen burger gives a better result than a thawed burger.

I have noticed on the label for some of the preformed frozen burgers that they are 100% beef but they contain hearts and other parts that we do not normally think of when we think of ground beef.

Next time you cook them do an experiment cook one thawed and one frozen.

To me starting with a frozen or partially frozen burger gives a better result than a thawed burger.

I have noticed on the label for some of the preformed frozen burgers that they are 100% beef but they contain hearts and other parts that we do not normally think of when we think of ground beef.

These patties were not frozen when I bought them. I froze then at home.

I have purchased pre-made patties before in fresh and frozen form. They always seemed to be "tough" to me also.

I tried what Bea suggested by cooking them frozen .. it did make them not so dry but still tough. I've fried them, broiled them, sauteed them, grilled them .. same result. So I just don't get them anymore.

Back in the day (way back), I remember ordering fast food burgers and the patties were perfect squares...that's just all wrong :glare:
Wendy's uses square patties, but from every source I have heard it from, they do not use frozen patties.

I know this is going to sound weird, but while I love a good "real" burger, once in awhile when I just want something quick, I kind of like the (all beef) preformed patties. I know they won't taste like a quality burger, but it is ok for a quick lunch, topped with mustard and pickles, etc. I cook them from frozen. It's kind of like Mexican food. There is "real" Mexican food, and there is Taco Bell. I love them both, just in different ways.

Great analogy, Barbara!

The copycat recipe for Hardee's Mushroom Swiss burgers uses preformed frozen patties, and they work great for that.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Walmart's 100% beef (78% lean) frozen patties? Many of the reviews on this product seem very positive. These 1/4 lb patties can go directly from frozen to the grill.
I will be grilling appox 50 burgers, plus other items this weekend for my grandkids' Hawaiian themed birthday party so something like this will save me a lot of time. Most of the burgers will be topped with grilled fresh pineapple as well.
These 1/4 lb frozen patties come 32 to a box for about $22 which comes out to about $2.75/lb. Good deal if they're tasty as many reviewers stated.

Last edited:
Maybe DH remembers better than I do; I think we bought these once and weren't happy with them, although I can't remember why. I'll ask him when he gets back from walking the dog.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom