"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Pre-Made Burger Patties

I usually buy a six-pound package of ground beef from Costco and package it in half-pound portions for freezing. Half-pound portions are convenient for burgers and recipes that call for a pound of ground beef.

Last time we were at Costco, I saw a package of pre-made half pound pattys in the meat case right next to the regular ground beef packages and bought one as a labor-saving option. I assumed there would be no difference.

These pattys appear to have been extruded like sausage meat and mechanically sliced of in half-pound portions.

There is a difference. It appears pre-made burgers are much more densely packed. It takes several minutes more to grill to the same degree of doneness as hand-shaped burgers and they are tougher.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Like meatloaf.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I usually buy a six-pound package of ground beef from Costco and package it in half-pound portions for freezing. Half-pound portions are convenient for burgers and recipes that call for a pound of ground beef.

Last time we were at Costco, I saw a package of pre-made half pound pattys in the meat case right next to the regular ground beef packages and bought one as a labor-saving option. I assumed there would be no difference.

These pattys appear to have been extruded like sausage meat and mechanically sliced of in half-pound portions.

There is a difference. It appears pre-made burgers are much more densely packed. It takes several minutes more to grill to the same degree of doneness as hand-shaped burgers and they are tougher.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I buy those at Costco all the time. They cost the same per kg as the big lump of ground beef. They are awfully big for a burger. Tried that once, but the shape is too regular. I wrap them individually and freeze them. Then if I need ground beef I take out how every many I need. We usually make three burgers out of two of them.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Like meatloaf.
No. meatloaf is usually made with breadcrumbs so it's not so dense. These burgers were DENSE!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I buy 4oz ( pound) burgers from Omaha Steaks. They are made with aged grain fed beef and individually wrapped. They will thaw in cold water in about 30 minutes, ready to cook. They also have 6oz (⅓ pound) and 8oz ( pound) burgers available if that interests you, but I prefer 4oz.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm asking about the difference in texture and density of machine made pattys and hand formed pattys.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The pre-made patties do seem denser, but I think it's just that they have been packed down.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The pre-made patties do seem denser, but I think it's just that they have been packed down.

Good to know I'm not imagining this. Thanks,
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Half Baked

I haven't found a pre-made patty I like yet. I think they cook differently and do not taste the same. Maybe it is freezer burn or the density causes the fat to flare more and taste more like a charbroiled patty. They tend to give me heartburn too.

I rarely use frozen meat for burgers. Everytime I use fresh beef everybody comments on how good the burgers are. I do freeze ground
beef all the time (after making burgers) but I use it for meatballs/meatloaf/tacos etc. Fresh is the way to go if you can.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Good to know I'm not imagining this. Thanks,
They are more dense and I won''t buy them. I like meat that breathes I don't want to have to poke it to get the texture I want.
kades

Tags
other