Pretty Good Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Pretty Good Meatloaf

1 1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 egg
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Mix together beef, crumbs, egg, onion, salt, pepper and 1/2 of tomato sauce. Form into loaf and put into shallow pan. Combine rest of the tomato sauce and all the other ingredients. Pour over loaf. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Baste occasionally

GB said:
I am holding out for the "Great Meatloaf". Who wants just pretty good? :-p

I've done a couple of Rainee's recipies... the title for this thread is pure humility if it's like the other stuff I've made.

Btw I think Im gonna make this but with a couple of spoons of stone ground grey poupon...

Here is THE Great Meatloaf, Everyone who has had it said it was the best ever. I myself can not stand meatloaf.

Cajun Meat Loaf
(Recipe from “Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen”© page 112,113.)

Makes 6 servings

This is best using both ground pork and ground beef, as the pork gives more flavor diversity. However, you can make it with ground beef only.

Seasoning mix:
2 whole bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferable cayenne)
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup finely chopped onions
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup finely chopped green bell peppers
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup catsup
1½ pounds ground beef
½ pound ground pork
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic , Tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Sauté until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the milk and catsup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture, removing the bay leaves, and add the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1½ inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. Bake uncovered at 350º for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400º and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer. Serve immediately as is or with Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef (page 251 see below).

Very Hot Cajun Sauce For Beef
6 Servings

3/4 c chopped onions
1/2 c chopped green peppers
1/2 c chopped celery
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c +1T all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 c minced jalapeno peppers(note
1 tsp minced garlic
3 c basic beef stock

Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a small bowl and set aside while you start the roux. (NOTE: Unlike the roux in most other recipes in this book, the roux we use here is light brown. Therefore, instead of heating the oil to the smoking stage, we heat it to only 250F; this prevents the roux from getting too brown.) In a heavy 2-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat to about 250F. With a metal whisk, whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Be carefyul not to let the roux scorch or splash on your skin.

Remove from heat and with a spoon immediately stir in the vegtable mixture and the red, white and black peppers; return pan to high heat and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaves, jalapeno peppers and garlic, stirring well. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. (We're cooking the seasonings and vegetables in the light roux and the mixture should, therefore, be pasty.) Remove from heat.

In a separate 2-quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, strirring until dissolved between each addition. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces to 3-1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Skim any oil from the top and serve immediately.

mikegeorge said:
Here is THE Great Meatloaf, Everyone who has had it said it was the best ever. I myself can not stand meatloaf.

Cajun Meat Loaf
(Recipe from “Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen”© page 112,113.)

Makes 6 servings

This is best using both ground pork and ground beef, as the pork gives more flavor diversity. However, you can make it with ground beef only.

Seasoning mix:
2 whole bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferable cayenne)
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup finely chopped onions
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup finely chopped green bell peppers
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup catsup
1½ pounds ground beef
½ pound ground pork
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic , Tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Sauté until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the milk and catsup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture, removing the bay leaves, and add the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1½ inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. Bake uncovered at 350º for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400º and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer. Serve immediately as is or with Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef (page 251 see below).

Very Hot Cajun Sauce For Beef
6 Servings

3/4 c chopped onions
1/2 c chopped green peppers
1/2 c chopped celery
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c +1T all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 c minced jalapeno peppers(note
1 tsp minced garlic
3 c basic beef stock

Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a small bowl and set aside while you start the roux. (NOTE: Unlike the roux in most other recipes in this book, the roux we use here is light brown. Therefore, instead of heating the oil to the smoking stage, we heat it to only 250F; this prevents the roux from getting too brown.) In a heavy 2-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat to about 250F. With a metal whisk, whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Be carefyul not to let the roux scorch or splash on your skin.

Remove from heat and with a spoon immediately stir in the vegtable mixture and the red, white and black peppers; return pan to high heat and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaves, jalapeno peppers and garlic, stirring well. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. (We're cooking the seasonings and vegetables in the light roux and the mixture should, therefore, be pasty.) Remove from heat.

In a separate 2-quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, strirring until dissolved between each addition. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces to 3-1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Skim any oil from the top and serve immediately.

Wonder if this is in my PP cookbook. I'm gonna check. He is a master for certain. I just typed a reply here and it went away to ''reply heaven''. Anyway, anyone know if his K-Pauls is still in operation in New Orleans? How is he doing too. After his wifed passed away, he lost a lot of weight. I am praying he is well.

(well, somehow it didn't disappear I guess.:glare: )
original reply was:All I can say is anything by Paul Prudhomme is always sensational in my not so humble opinion. Anyone know is K-Pauls is still in New Orleans? How is Paul Prudhomme doing of late if anyone knows that too. I think last time I saw him on a TV show or whatever it was, he looked quite small to me. It may have been after his wife's passing though. Just curious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom