Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
I am planning to cook prime rib with the 120 degree F for 18 hours method. I do have an oven that can maintain this temperature. Any advice? Take the bones off first? Leave them on, etc.?

An oven temperature of 120ºF is WAY TOO LOW to safely cook food. The food temperature danger zone is 40ºF to 140ºF where bacteria grows at a rapid rate.

There are several methods for cooking a standing rib roast that will yield good results.

I prefer bone on roast. I think it tastes better. Presents better.

You can lift the bone and tie it back. It is easier to carve that way.

Good points

OK, I'll leave the bone on and switch to a higher temp cooking method. Thanks. I've never cooked prime rib before. Roast beef, yes. Prime rib, no.

Pathogens that make you sick continue to grow until 118 F. Very close to your 120 F oven temp. Every time your oven dips below 118 (as the heating element cycles on and off) they will grow rapidly. They do not start to die until 130 F. At 130 F 2 hours kills them to a safe level. At 140 F 12 minutes is required.

Here is the method Craig told us about and said his roasts come out perfect every single time.
I would have tried this long ago, accept my wife does not like rare meat so I will not waste any money on a good standing rib roast. If I want rare prime rib, I will need to find a good restaurant.

Here is Craig's recommendation.

Beef Roast Steps. Rare.

Roast room temperature beef roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to try the Foodwishes method first, but we bought two roasts (on sale) so I have another one in the freezer to try a different method, too.

Here is the method Craig told us about and said his roasts come out perfect every single time.
I would have tried this long ago, accept my wife does not like rare meat so I will not waste any money on a good standing rib roast. If I want rare prime rib, I will need to find a good restaurant.

Here is Craig's recommendation.

Beef Roast Steps. Rare.

Roast room temperature beef roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.

I've never been one to trust the per pound method. A probe thermometer costs less than $20, a prime rib over $100.

Roast to the desired temperature, - 10 degrees, remove, let it sit for a few minutes. Serve.

I've also had good luck with roasting room temp rib roast at 450-500F for a few minutes and simply turning off the oven and let the roast sit in the oven, undisturbed, for a couple of hours.
I picked this method up on the internet and it works for me.

Last edited:
I've also had good luck with roasting room temp rib roast at 450-500F for a few minutes and simply turning off the oven and let the roast sit in the oven, undisturbed, for a couple of hours.

I've had good luck with this method too. I've only used it on rib roasts.

I have a boneless ribeye roast that I'm cooking tomorrow with an ATK method. 275ºF oven to 115ºF internal temp then under the broiler to sear the exterior. It's supposed to eliminate the grey ring around the exterior and give you medium rare edge to edge.

To be more precise, for those who haven't done it..

The rib roast is brought to room temperature. Overnight is good, but at least 6 hours (this is CRITICAL)! Season anyway you like. Then multiply the exact weight times 5 minutes.

The rib roast is cooked at 500 degrees F for exactly that many minutes. Then the oven is turned off. You wait 2 hours without opening the door. Do NOT open the door. You then remove the prime rib and slice into the most perfectly medium-rare meat you've ever seen.

Last edited:
I've never been one to trust the per pound method. A probe thermometer costs less than $20, a prime rib over $100.

Roast to the desired temperature, - 10 degrees, remove, let it sit for a few minutes. Serve.

This would be how I do it myself except it would rest for several minutes. Maybe 20-30 minutes.
But Craig's method sounds like a very good idea and over cooking almost impossible.
I for one will try this method asap.
And no matter the method, checking the internal temp would be important.

Smokin??

I know you have to cook a standing prime rib roast for 30 min or so at, like, 450 then reduce heat. What I want to know is how do you, or can you, smoke a prime rib?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom