"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
Head Chef

I agree with Rob Babcock on his instructions. I, myself, do not use a thermometer until the end as that way the juices don't run out. Brandied mushrooms go with a prime rib very well also.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

I third Rob's instructions. However, Prime Rib, or more correctly, a standing rib roast can be simply seasoned with just S & P. The seasoning is completely up to you. Also, get the roast with the bones on. This will give the meat more flavor and give more succulent results.

Another good technique is to cook for 20 minutes at 450, turn off the oven, let the roast cool with the oven, and then reheat before serving at 300 until the internal temp reaches about 125 - 130 degrees. And to prevent loss of juices, use the temperature probe or a meat-thermometer designed to stay in the roast while it cooks.

There are many methods to produce the "perfect" standing rib roast. Do a quick Google search and you will find many. Personally, I like mine cooked in the Webber Barbecue Kettle, with the lid on.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
Executive Chef

We got a heck of a deal at SAM's this week. Their meat packer sent them PRIME grade prime rib, SAM's sold at the choice price!

Yep, sometimes just simple is pretty darn good. We smoke ours, but only salt & pepper it, with some sliced onions on top.

http://www.ebsbbq.com/xmSPRIME.jpg
Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Raine, that pic made me drool!!!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #15
Sous Chef

i have said it once i will say it again...if any of the houses near Raine go up for sale...please let me know, cause im buying!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #16
Head Chef

I don't use a thermometer at work making prime since I've made several tons over years- I know my ovens and I've got it scienced out. For the amateur that only makes it occasionally at home I feel the little bit of juice you lose is worth it to have it done perfectly each time. YMMV or course.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Rob - tried to send you a private email but you're not set up to accept them. Oh well, maybe someone else will be interested in this, as well!

I will be preparing Prime Rib this coming Sunday for a local shelter - enough to feed 30 people. Supposed to be 2 full sized roasts. I asked the butcher to cut them down into 4 to 5 lb roasts. Was that a bad idea? I don't have 6 hours to cook them. Especially since I keep seeing that the roast(s) should be room temperature (about an hour of sit time) before putting them in the oven.

I found a recipe that calls for rubbing the roast with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, & thyme but I love your Montreal Steak seasoning idea. I thinking that I can mix that with the olive oil.

I realize that you can't give me an exact figure but when should I put the roasts in the (gas) oven in order to serve them at noon? There are 2 ovens so there will be a few roasts in each oven at the same time.

I'm planning to use frozen "stew vegetables" as the rack & then serve them for one of the side dishes.

Thank you so much!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:04 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hmmm...I'm not sure why a PM didn't go thru. I think I've recieved them before. They don't take that much longer whold as compared to being cut up, mostly because of their shape. While I agree that S&P is enough, I really like Montreal Seasoning coated with garlic. Depending on how done you want them, 3 to 4 hours will suffice for a whole lip-on. Cutting them into very small roasts will be faster, but you lose a bit more moisture. Then again- more end cuts! They're the best part.

Cut into small (5 lb or so) peices, I don't think you'll need much more than 2.5 hours, depending on doneness.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 AM   #19
Head Chef

BTW, letting them stand isn't imperative- it's nice, but not a deal breaker. I'll probably be doing prime for Xmas myself. I've been doing the low carb thing for years, but for Christmas I'll probably splurge a bit and make mash potatoes, either with wasabi, roasted garlic or carmelized onions.

Happy holiday, all!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:53 AM   #20
Head Chef

Okay, I've got a 14 lb chunk of prime Black Angus, aged 21 days and sitting in my fridge!

Tags
None