"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Morton's Tender Quick can be found in most large/major grocery stores in the U.S. - saving the "shipping and handling" fee incurred when buying online. It can generally be found in one of three different places (depending on the store):

1 - with the canning supplies
2 - with the salt
3 - with the spices
Well, Michael, force of habit. Since Buck and I live in a VERY rural area, many things are not available so I've become the queen of Internet grocery shopping.

Thanks for bringing me back to the "real" world...at least for most folks.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Question Wow

Wow much to my suprise this was a high volume thread :). I thought i would only have a few more replies i guess not. Anways would mortan tender quick give the same red hue that saltpeter gives corn beef/pastrami? If it would how would i know how much to add? I think altons recipe calls for 2 tablespoons but since the mortan tender quick would have less saltpeter how would i know how much to add since the concentration of saltpeter will be less?

thanks,
Ncage

Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Ncage1974...

What is it exactly that you want to do??? Are you wanting to cure your own meat? Make pastrami? What?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Ncage1974...

What is it exactly that you want to do??? Are you wanting to cure your own meat? Make pastrami? What?
Well yes. Well least i think. If you look at alton browns recipe that is linked maybe that would give you a better idea. He did say on his TV program that if you don't use saltpeter then you will not get the redish authentic new york look. Id like to achieve that. I don't know if the saltpeter plays any more role in his recipe though.

Just for kicks, walgreens was on the way to where i was going to pick up pizza. So i went back to the pharacy counter and asked a Pharmacy tech..and the were like ....what. So then went to ask the pharmacist (i hope they new what it was) and she said no we don't have it. It was worth a try at least.

Ncage
Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Ncage1974

If you are trying to dupliate the recipe then do so using saltpetere, but follow the recipe to the letter as to meat weight and amount of saltpetere. If you use Morton's Tender Quick contact Morton for advice. It has salt included so you would not need the amount of salt the recipe call for. Let us know what Morton says. Proceed with caution.

Enjoy

Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Ncage1974

If you are trying to dupliate the recipe then do so using saltpetere, but follow the recipe to the letter as to meat weight and amount of saltpetere. If you use Morton's Tender Quick contact Morton for advice. It has salt included so you would not need the amount of salt the recipe call for. Let us know what Morton says. Proceed with caution.

Enjoy
I did find a recipe at Morton's site:
Deli Style Corned Beef

Course you don't know if the morton tender quick is to achieve the red color or just used for the brine.

Ncage
Old 03-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #27
Senior Cook

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Morton Tender Quick WILL i repeat WILL turn your meet that nice rosy color. I found it at my very favorite BBQ site:
Pastrami - The Virtual Weber Bullet
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Morton Tender Quick WILL i repeat WILL turn your meet that nice rosy color. I found it at my very favorite BBQ site:
Pastrami - The Virtual Weber Bullet
Good Job!! I think the MT Quick will be excellent, and is a much safer product to use for the home consumer!! Be sure to report back on your experiences!

Do Enjoy!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Thumbs down none to find :(

Well i went to multipe places today to find morton tender quick and came up empty. I went to the local farm & home type places that usually caning stuff and none of them had it. I also went to walmart (where im sure ive seen it before) but walmart doesn't really carry much canning supplies until fall. I did find saltpeter but in an unusual form (stump remover). If some of you don't know thats what they use in stump remover. I looked for the chemical compoistion which was not listed on the label :(. The only clue was on the back of the container it said

"This product contains potasium nitrate and if ingested call your doctor". I don't know about everyone else but it would make me feel nervous putting stump remover in my brining solution.

So it looks like i will have to order whichever i decide to go with.

Ncage
Old 03-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Morton® Salt - Food Salts

Tags
None