Purpose of and Source for Saltpeter in Corning Beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
Morton's Tender Quick can be found in most large/major grocery stores in the U.S. - saving the "shipping and handling" fee incurred when buying online. It can generally be found in one of three different places (depending on the store):

1 - with the canning supplies
2 - with the salt
3 - with the spices

Well, Michael, force of habit. Since Buck and I live in a VERY rural area, many things are not available so I've become the queen of Internet grocery shopping.

Thanks for bringing me back to the "real" world...at least for most folks.:):)

Wow

Wow much to my suprise this was a high volume thread :). I thought i would only have a few more replies i guess not. Anways would mortan tender quick give the same red hue that saltpeter gives corn beef/pastrami? If it would how would i know how much to add? I think altons recipe calls for 2 tablespoons but since the mortan tender quick would have less saltpeter how would i know how much to add since the concentration of saltpeter will be less?

thanks,
Ncage

Uncle Bob said:
Ncage1974...

What is it exactly that you want to do??? Are you wanting to cure your own meat? Make pastrami? What?

Well yes. Well least i think. If you look at alton browns recipe that is linked maybe that would give you a better idea. He did say on his TV program that if you don't use saltpeter then you will not get the redish authentic new york look. Id like to achieve that. I don't know if the saltpeter plays any more role in his recipe though.

Just for kicks, walgreens was on the way to where i was going to pick up pizza. So i went back to the pharacy counter and asked a Pharmacy tech..and the were like ....what. So then went to ask the pharmacist (i hope they new what it was) and she said no we don't have it. It was worth a try at least.

Ncage

Ncage1974

If you are trying to dupliate the recipe then do so using saltpetere, but follow the recipe to the letter as to meat weight and amount of saltpetere. If you use Morton's Tender Quick contact Morton for advice. It has salt included so you would not need the amount of salt the recipe call for. Let us know what Morton says. Proceed with caution.

Enjoy

Uncle Bob said:
Ncage1974

If you are trying to dupliate the recipe then do so using saltpetere, but follow the recipe to the letter as to meat weight and amount of saltpetere. If you use Morton's Tender Quick contact Morton for advice. It has salt included so you would not need the amount of salt the recipe call for. Let us know what Morton says. Proceed with caution.

Enjoy

I did find a recipe at Morton's site:
Deli Style Corned Beef

Course you don't know if the morton tender quick is to achieve the red color or just used for the brine.

Ncage

none to find :(

Well i went to multipe places today to find morton tender quick and came up empty. I went to the local farm & home type places that usually caning stuff and none of them had it. I also went to walmart (where im sure ive seen it before) but walmart doesn't really carry much canning supplies until fall. I did find saltpeter but in an unusual form (stump remover). If some of you don't know thats what they use in stump remover. I looked for the chemical compoistion which was not listed on the label :(. The only clue was on the back of the container it said

"This product contains potasium nitrate and if ingested call your doctor". I don't know about everyone else but it would make me feel nervous putting stump remover in my brining solution.

So it looks like i will have to order whichever i decide to go with.

Ncage

ncage1974 said:
Course you don't know if the morton tender quick is to achieve the red color or just used for the brine.

It does both. Once more quoting the USDA National Center for Home Food Preservation page on Nitrates and Nitrites:

These curing ingredients are required to achieve the characteristic flavor, color and stability of cured meat. Nitrate and nitrite are converted to nitric oxide by microorganisms and combine with the meat pigment myoglobin to give the cured meat color. However, more importantly, nitrite provides protection against the growth of botulism-producing organisms, acts to retard rancidity and stabilizes the flavor of the cured meat.

and ...

Extreme Cautions must be exercised in adding nitrate or nitrite to meat, since too much of either of these ingredients can be toxic to humans. In using these materials never use more than called for in the recipe. A little is enough. Federal regulations permit a maximum addition of 2.75 ounces of sodium or potassium nitrate per 100 pounds of chopped meat, and 0.25 ounce sodium or potassium nitrite per 100 pounds of chopped meat. Potassium nitrate (saltpeter) was the salt historically used for curing. However, sodium nitrite alone, or in combination with nitrate, has largely replaced the straight nitrate cure.

The reason the USDA suggests using the "premixes" like Tender Quick is bacause they contain the correct balance of nitrates and nitrites to salt, so that all you need to do is relpace the salt in the cure/brine recipe with the premix and you will have the correct balance of salt/nitrate/nitrite.

In AB's recipe - just replace the 1 Cup Kosher Salt with 1 Cup Tender Quick and skip the saltpeter.

It takes a little Googling to find potassium nitrate, you have to look at varients of the spelling of saltpeter, salt peter, saltpetre, salt petre, etc... but here is one site that sells it under the name: salt petre (potassium nitrate) if you really want to follow AB's recipe to the letter - and hope the weight per volume ratio is the same as what he was using so you don't overdose. Read the warning about the use of potassium nitrate at the above linked site.

Yep - Walgreens doesn't carry it (potassium nitrate), neither does CVS, or WalMart or any of the other 6 pharmacies I called, didn't I mention that before? Other sources of potassium nitrate are things like stump remover and fertalizers ... but they are mixed with other things I'm not sure I would want to eat.

If Tender Quick works on a brisket, when cured for a few days, like it does on chicken and turkey when just brined overnight ... the meat should be nice and pink/red.

Stores around here that carry Tender Quick year round include Albertsons, Tom Thumb and Kroger. WalMart usually has it - but they move it around depending on the season. And, when I lived in Colorado in a little town of 14,000 - our Safeway carried it year round.

Last edited:
Katie E said:
Well, Michael, force of habit. Since Buck and I live in a VERY rural area, many things are not available so I've become the queen of Internet grocery shopping.

Thanks for bringing me back to the "real" world...at least for most folks.:):)

Katie - you crack me up! :LOL: :LOL:

My experience has been that the more rural an area is the more likely you are to be able to find such things as Tender Quick - country folk know what it's for and what to do with it, the city folks ... well ... thank goodness they have country folks to ask. :angel:

We were thinking of curing our own bacon at one point but found it difficult to buy salpetre and found an article suggesting that it was now banned for use on foodstuffs here in the UK.

there is an issue over nitrosamines as a possible carcinogen, but personly I think it`s all (or at least largely) due to the fact that weapons can be made from it, and post 9/11 and 7/7 a good many things have been "Removed".

in the UK, if you have a local butcher and know the guy well, he Will be able to get some pre-mixed stuff for you though :)

also as Micheal said, KNO3 is available as agricultural grade material ( I get through at least a kilo a year feeding my Chilis and Tomatoes with it), but I wouldn`t appreciate it on/in my food :)

As some of you all know, I work in the restaurant industry. If you want to cure meats, like Corned Beef, homemade bacon, etc., I highly recommend that you buy Micheal Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's book Charcuterie: The Art of Curing and Preserving Meats. Chef Polcyn owns and runs a restaurant in Michigan, and from what I read of his book, really knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom