"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I'm kinda in RT's camp, I rarely taste as I cook, but I can tell most times how it'll taste by the smell (except for baked goods), sounds weird I know, but that's just me.

And all this talk of this mysterious Chef John ... I thought this was a DC member and kept looking for him ... there is one, but a one timer long ago.
Then I was looking for a Chicken Gravy recipe using boxed broth, went to AllRecipe's website and there he was!
Then when it hit the link that RT posts of this Flank Steak recipe, there he was again!
All this talk of Flank Steak, that's what's for dinner tonight!!

Old 10-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #22
Head Chef

Wouldn't simmering flank steak or any cut in a marinade end up too strong tasting? Marinades are usually strongly flavored and drained off.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I'm kinda in RT's camp, I rarely taste as I cook, but I can tell most times how it'll taste by the smell (except for baked goods), sounds weird I know, but that's just me.
The difference is that you seem to enjoy your food while RR seems to often be unhappy with how hers turns out.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I definitely agree with tasting things like sausage or meatloaf by cooking a small amount and tasting to give you a chance to adjust seasonings. We'll also be doing the same thing to any beef or pork products we cure and smoke from now on. I'm glad I found that tip when I was looking at speck recipes because it would have been a salt lick like our first attempt at bacon was, if we hadn't known to soak it in some water to draw some salt out.

I also taste and adjust as I go when I'm making something I don't use a recipe for like tomato sauce or tzatziki, etc., etc
Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The difference is that you seem to enjoy your food while RR seems to often be unhappy with how hers turns out.
That's true, but one thing you should understand is, I haven't been cooking that long. In about ten years, I expect to have quite a list of things I like to eat but right now, I feel like I'm still just starting out. While I do have a list of recipes I do like, I also have a huge list of recipes I've never tried before and those are the ones I don't know if I'll like or not.

Once I put a bunch of ingredients together, it really doesn't matter if I taste or not because if I'm going to like the recipe, I'll like it and if I don't, I won't. Tasting at that point will only be saving me some time in cooking. I just didn't like the marinade I had that meat in and really, I'm not sure there was anything I could have done to save it at that point.

Or take that mac and cheese I made in the crock pot. I know next time to not use evaporated milk, but there wasn't much I could do once it was added to the recipe. Next time I won't use it and I look forward to a recipe I like and will use over again.

The thing is, I can keep experimenting and find more recipes I like (and don't like) or I could stop now and just stick to what I know I like. Since I have about 100 or so recipes I have listed that I still want to try, I guess I'll still be experimenting for a while.

I'm also the picky eater. Just because I don't like something doesn't necessarily means it isn't good. It just means that I don't like it.

And with this recipe, it's also one you reduce down. Just because the marinade didn't taste good (if I had tasted it), didn't mean the final result wouldn't taste good. I love making hoisin sauce chicken, but a friend of mine made it while I was at her house and refused to let it caramelize. I couldn't believe how much worse the sauce was if it doesn't caramelize and because my friend didn't taste it the way it's supposed to be cooked, she thinks hoisin sauce is terrible.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Got it - you don't want suggestions for improvement. I'll remember that.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Make sure to slice against the grain before serving.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Make sure to slice against the grain before serving.
And on a bias.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have three sauces I use for chicken (teriyaki, hoisin, and balsamic BBQ sauces) and when I make chicken breasts in any of these sauces, I simply put the chicken in a glass baking dish and pour the sauce over them. The chicken bakes done, the sauce caramelizes, and I usually end up with a delicious meal.

Well, now I have another recipe that calls for flank steak and grilling. I don't have a grill, so I was wondering if I can put the steak in a glass dish like I do the chicken, pour the sauce over it, and bake the steak. The sauce has molasses in it, so I think it will caramelize the same way.

The thing is, I've never heard of anyone cooking beef this way. I've heard of sous vide, but I don't think this is exactly a sous vide.

Does anyone think this is going to work?
No. Thatís a recipe for disaster.

And, yes, if the marinade sucks the final product will, too.

The FIRST rule of cooking is to taste as you cook. Youíll never be successful if you donít.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The FIRST rule of cooking is to taste as you cook. Youíll never be successful if you donít.
+1 ...

Tags
steak