"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Got it - you don't want suggestions for improvement. I'll remember that.
I asked if cooking the flank steak in the marinade was an option. From what I was told, it wasn't so I didn't. I don't recall asking if I should taste the food before I eat it, so those suggestions were surplus to requirements. Basically what you did was give me advice I didn't ask for and now you're upset because I'm rejecting it. I'm sorry about that, but your annoyance is something you need to work out for yourself. Don't try to blame me for it.

-----------------

I really do welcome the advice I get here and I follow it more often than not. But if I explain why I didn't do something and why I probably won't do something in the future, I don't welcome people getting upset over that. We all have our idiosyncrasies in the kitchen.

As for cooking, I started cooking to save money and I have been successful with that. But I'm not out to be a 5-star chef; I just want to make recipes I will enjoy eating. I will make mistakes along the way, but that's how anyone learns.

So let's not worry about the tasting, OK?

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Heh. I'm not the one who is upset.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Tasting food as I'm going along is one of the first things I learned after I joined this site. If you don't, you really have no idea what the outcome will be. If you do, you have opportunities to tweak it - add more salt or a spice (not necessarily referring to heat) or herbs, or a splash of vinegar or lemon juice for brightness, or Worcestershire or soy sauce for increased savoriness. I even cook a tablespoon of a sausage mixture to make sure the seasoning is right before I cook the whole batch.

My cooking improved a lot once I started doing that.
I always make a small meatball burger to check seasoning before cooking the whole batch (I have never made homemade sausage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
No. That’s a recipe for disaster.

And, yes, if the marinade sucks the final product will, too.

The FIRST rule of cooking is to taste as you cook. You’ll never be successful if you don’t.
+2

You (and I mean that in the general/plural/everyone meaning not as a personal assualt) can never become a good cook if you don't taste as you go and LEARN what combinations work. All you will do is waste food and money by throwing away all the food you don't like.

When my mom was cooking she insisted I taste everything (when safe) from start to finish as it went along. So I could see/taste how the flavor changed as it cooked. This way I know when something still has that "raw" flavor and need to cook longer. I also tell what the final product needs "now" to taste good later. I even taste the seasoned flour and seasoned bread crumbs (I NEVER buy pre-seasoned crumbs or flour; you never know what all is in there) BEFORE I dredge/bread my cutlets.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I asked if cooking the flank steak in the marinade was an option. From what I was told, it wasn't so I didn't. I don't recall asking if I should taste the food before I eat it, so those suggestions were surplus to requirements. Basically what you did was give me advice I didn't ask for and now you're upset because I'm rejecting it. I'm sorry about that, but your annoyance is something you need to work out for yourself. Don't try to blame me for it.

-----------------

I really do welcome the advice I get here and I follow it more often than not. But if I explain why I didn't do something and why I probably won't do something in the future, I don't welcome people getting upset over that. We all have our idiosyncrasies in the kitchen.

As for cooking, I started cooking to save money and I have been successful with that. But I'm not out to be a 5-star chef; I just want to make recipes I will enjoy eating. I will make mistakes along the way, but that's how anyone learns.

So let's not worry about the tasting, OK?
Just FYI, most recipes underseason. I don't know why it is so, but it is. If I don't taste as I mix, then I find that too many recipes turn out fairly bland, even those put out by some pretty good cooks. Watch TV chefs sometime when they say 1 teaspoon of something, then toss in half a handful. Also I generally read 1 teaspoon as a heaping teaspoon, not a level one, unless I'm baking.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #35
Head Chef

And then I come along and underseason the underseasoned recipes! For some reason, I always cut back on the seasoning the first time I make something.

Once I've tried something and decided I like it, I'll start upping the seasonings. I do find I'm pretty sensitive to things like pepper and cayenne, so I'd rather start on the low end and work my way up. And oh, boy, do I have to cut down on the red pepper flakes when I find that in recipes!

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steak