"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Questions on Preparing Meat

Hi guys,
I'm a total beginning cook so please excuse me if this sounds like a really dumb question. When you get the meat home, I've noticed that sometimes there is a lot of that red liquid protein (I've been told it's not blood). Am I suppose to wash the meat before I cook it? I get concerned it won't be as juicy.

Thanks in advance

marvinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I usually cook it in with the meat - particularly for a stew type dish. Last night I reserved it and added it to the gravy for some extra flavour.

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Master Chef
The only meat I wash is poultry. I am not sure if that is the correct thing to do, but it is true for me LOL.
And I took like the juice to be there when I am either searing it, putting it in the slow cooker, or making a gravy. Like anything else, I just make sure it gets thoroughly cooked up.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
No need to wash. Just dry the meat with some paper towels before cooking. Starting with a dry meat surface makes browning much easier.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Head Chef
I'm with Andy. I just take it out of the package and dry it with paper towels. I think that the moistness in cooked meat comes from rendered fat, not the residual liquid in the package.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior Cook
The USDA actually recommends against washing any meats, including poultry, before cooking, because of the risk of cross-contamination. Here's their factsheet: Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?.

I don't fully agree with them. I general, I don't wash meats or poultry before cooking but sometimes I do. It depends on how it looks. For example, if there's a lot of bone dust, etc., that I can't satisfactorily remove by scraping and wiping, I'll wash it lightly. Also, if the meat feels or looks slimey (but still smells fresh), I'll wash it. With seafood, I sometimes wash with lemon water.
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Head Chef
The food safety folks have stated that one should not wash chicken anymore because of the risk of spreading salmonella around your kitchen. It has been said that if you bring the chicken to the proper temp--you will be fine. Since that time, I have not washed chicken.
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Head Chef
Most people I know, and me included always wash meat and chicken.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Master Chef
I agree with Andy and that is what I do as well.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef
The "red liquid" in the package is actually serum albumen, which is one of the fluids that makes up blood. This liquid is actually a protein, and will set up just like egg whites (also an albumen). I have been known to use this liquid to help create some extra fond in the pan when I want an extra-rich sauce.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote