"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
In my circle of friends we have run the gamet on steaks from different marinades and rubs. We have now come full circle. Our conclusion from our journey is steak is best when simplified. I will buy a 2 inch thick choice sirloin, ribeye, ny or kc strip, poter or t-bone. I buy it 3 days before cooking and place it on a rack inside a pan with a paper towel over it and put it into a cold part of the frigde. Let it set for 3 days to dry a bit. Pull it out around noon and rub it with a light coat of olive oil and season with sea salt and fresh pepper. I start cooking around 6:00. On a hot grill I give it 3 minutes and quarter turn ( cross marks) another 2.5 minutes and flip. Repeat previous step and remove from grill. Tent it with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Then enjoy. A good steak needs very little help. This is very easy and just takes some planning.

JDP

Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Ok that makes sense, thanks.

Uhm, I'm not actually sure... I just buy what looks good but I think it's always the same cut... It doesn't have a bone in it and it's just a normal steak... lol. *obviously doesn't know what she's talking about*

Here's exactly what I do: I have the pan on medium-high heat. After three minutes I turn the steak, let it cook for 3 minutes, then I turn the heat down to just under medium, put the lid on and let it cook for about 4 minutes... well actually that last time always varies because I'm never sure when it's done and haven't managed to get it right yet...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Zimm if that works out well for you then enjoy it. My friends and I will tend to over analyze our whole cooking process trying to make the perfect steak. And prior to that and during the cooking process we are discussing the wine we are drinking and all of it's unique characteristics. It's hard to believe that when we first met we were drinking Bush Light beer and running to Mcdonald's when we need a break from fishing.

JDP
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef

GB....fine combination...except for the chili powder. We don't like the chili powder we have had. Do you thinnk perhaps we need a new brand or just some new chili powder. Do you have a favorite brand?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Here is my favorite. I like the hot, but not everyone would enjoy the heat.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
GB....fine combination...except for the chili powder. We don't like the chili powder we have had. Do you thinnk perhaps we need a new brand or just some new chili powder. Do you have a favorite brand?
Alot of what we find here in the US when it is labled "Chili Powder" is a blend of chili's along with cumin, onion and garlic powder and possibly more things. I like to go to the Mexican markets and by a variety of ground chilis and mix and match them myself.

JDP
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

If you look further into the site GB linked, you'll find several strengths of chili powder, which is a blend of ground pepper and other seasonings as JDP said. Along with them, you will find ground chile peppers of different types.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Here is a favorite rub of mine by Bobby Flay. Note that it doesn't have to be done one ribeye steaks or on cuts of such a large size.[/quote]

college cook i love that rub it is wonderful, i bought two beautiful
ribeye steaks yesterday going to grill them with this rub saturday.

yumm

zin, i also like just plain old salt and pepper as a rub too. For a
marinade 2 parts vodka, and one part wishcashar(sp) sauce.
very good
Old 01-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Master Chef

This is by far my favorite steak marinade (it also works well with lamb). I use it all the time for less expensive cuts like chuck steak, London broil-type cuts, flank, skirt, etc.

BREEZY 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 MARINADE

In a plastic ziplock bag, bowl, or dish large enough to hold the meat & marinade, combine:

1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
3 tablespoons of oil (any type of your choosing)
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed, & roughly chopped

Add meat & marinate for a minimum of one hour to overnight. Grill, broil, or pan sauté meat as desired.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #20
Sous Chef

i HIGHLY reccomend you try this marinade that Raine posted a while back..its fantastic!!

Beer marinated grilled steak

12 oz beer (lager style)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T coarse ground Dijon mustard
2 T minced garlic
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T freshly ground pepper
1 t salt

Place steak in a resealable bag. In a bowl mix together all the marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.

linky to thread here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/beer-marinated-grilled-steak-tnt-8590.html?highlight=beer+marinated+steak

Tags
None