"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Unless you incorporate the salt into a brine or cure, how does the salt tenderize the meat?
When the salt grains melt it goes into the meat making it juicy.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
When the salt grains melt it goes into the meat making it juicy.
Salt draws out the juice from the meat. It does not tenderize the meat in that way.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Salt draws out the juice from the meat. It does not tenderize the meat in that way.
Maybe it s the cooking device that makes it juicy. I havent cooked steak any other way since i've bough the flavorwave a few years ago and i always use the same recipe.. Guess i just assumed it was the kosher salt. But you have to admit it....kosher salt on a steak is much better than table salt.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
Maybe it s the cooking device that makes it juicy. I havent cooked steak any other way since i've bough the flavorwave a few years ago and i always use the same recipe.. Guess i just assumed it was the kosher salt. But you have to admit it....kosher salt on a steak is much better than table salt.
I agree, kosher salt is better than table salt. I haven't used table salt in a commerical kitchen in a long time. Part of the juicyness is the cooking method and part of it is the quality and cut of steak. That's why I don't prefer grilling because you can't seal in those juices quick enough.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

ironchef, I have to say I am a bit confused. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to cooking. I have learned a tremendous amount from you and trust you when you speak. That is why I am so confused by this statement
Quote:
That's why I don't prefer grilling because you can't seal in those juices quick enough.
I usually cook my steak on my grill and unless I accidentally overcook it then my steak is always loaded with juice. If there was any more juice then it would be soup.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
ironchef, I have to say I am a bit confused. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to cooking. I have learned a tremendous amount from you and trust you when you speak. That is why I am so confused by this statement
I usually cook my steak on my grill and unless I accidentally overcook it then my steak is always loaded with juice. If there was any more juice then it would be soup.
Many really top notch steak houses use a quick, high temperature sear/oven roast method when cooking their steaks. I used to be partial to a grilled steak until I became a fan of the method employed at these places:

Bob's Steak & Chop House

Ringside Steakhouse - America's top Steakhouse, Traditional steakhouse, Late night dining in portland,Special Occasion dining

Spencer's Spokane: Home Page

Donovan's Steakhouse Restaurants | Phoenix Arizona, San Diego/La Jolla Fine Restaurants
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

I am not saying that that is not a great way to cook a steak. I know for a fact that it is. What I am saying though is that grilling a steak can work too and your comment about not being able to seal in the juices fast enough is not something I have ever experienced. My experiences with grilling steak has always (again unless it was overcooked) resulted in tons of juice.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am not saying that that is not a great way to cook a steak. I know for a fact that it is. What I am saying though is that grilling a steak can work too and your comment about not being able to seal in the juices fast enough is not something I have ever experienced. My experiences with grilling steak has always (again unless it was overcooked) resulted in tons of juice.
IMO I just don't think it can do it as fast as a high temp. pan sear. That's not to say it can't be done, because of course it can be done. I just don't prefer to sear it off of a grill.

With that being said, I usually run my steak-type meats on my menus off of grill preperations strictly for guest appeal. In many people's minds, just the term "grilled" conjures up something done only on special occasions so it just sounds more appealing; it's not a method of cooking employed by most people on an everyday basis.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

...and didn't I read somewhere that it's a myth that searing seals in the juices?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

I remember the same thing Andy. I could be wrong, but I think I read it from Robert Wolke.

Tags
None