"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 05-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Boneless or bone in? I prefer roasting whole chickens. Add some herbs, maybe some seasoned butter under the skin, S&P, and roast at 450° (or up to 500° if you have the ventilation) for about 13-14 minutes per pound (10 minutes per at 500°). You're looking for an internal temp of 180°. I swear, you get a perfect chicken every time!

HanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I am a stove top gal with steaks too. For me, it is easier to control the doneness of beef. I tend to use my ss/copper All Clad pan as it is heavier than my all ss All Clad. I do think that any sugar at all in the rub would burn and smoke something awful. Sorry about the loss of food and the embarassment that you surely must have felt. But....chalk it up to a lesson learned and you won't make the same mistake again. And worry not.........we ALL have failed at one time or another.

Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
Sous Chef
I never blast the steaks on high heat - medium high (7-8) is hot enough for me. I give them about 3 minutes on each side to sear (I successfully use both All-Clad stainless and Lodge cast iron pans). I usually use peanut oil because it has a high smoke point, but I also use canola oil or olive oil on occasion. I typically keep seasonings simple with just salt and pepper. Butter will tend to burn on higher heats, but sometimes I throw in a pat near the finish of each side for flavor. Then I put them in the oven, not on broil, but at whatever temperature another item is cooking at, typically 350-400*. After taking out of the oven and removing the steaks to rest, I make a pan sauce in the pan (remember that the pan including the handle will be hot) and drizzle it over the steaks. Part of your burning problem was probably due to there being sugar in the steak sauce that you used. Some steak sauces are best put on late in the cooking process or even after cooking.
...and that's the way it is in northern Minnesota.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #14
mylegsbig, is there sugar in the steak magic? There's none in the blackened redfish magic.

Blackened is actually a misnomer. You want them dark, but not burnt. Here's a few shots I took one time when dh blackened some redfish ... outdoors.

He has his own method for prepping the fish. It's actually easier than Prudhomme's. This is the recipe he uses for tuna.

1 pound tuna cut into ½-inch thick steaks
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Redfish Magic
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

CUT tuna into ½-inch thick steaks. Place in shallow dish (like pie plate).

MELT butter in small saucepan over low heat; add olive oil and seasonings. Stir well. Pour over tuna. Flip tuna after covering with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.

HEAT a cast iron skillet for approximately 10 minutes till smoking hot. (This can be done outdoors over a propane burner or indoors with adequate ventilation.) When pan is hot, add tuna and marinade. Cook, turning once, a total of 1 ¾ - 2 minutes for rare, 3 minutes for medium-well done.
HanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
Master Chef
I think your point is that you didnt want a blackened steak, right?

Then I'd skip the PP seasoning. Good meat really needs only salt and pepper. Make sure you salt the meat right before, not after cooking.

Why don't you try a variety of methods and see whicj\h one works best for you? As you can see, people who have posted all have favorite ways of cooking steak that come out well for them consistently.

For me, it's outside on the charcoal grill or sear and blast inside. See: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...936_99,00.html

Others like the stove top or broiler.

REgarding roasting chicken on high heat. IT WORKS GREAT!! If you slice up a potato or two reall thin and completely cover the bottom of the roasting pan with sliced potatoes it will greatly reduce the amount of smoking fromthe drippings.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #16
Head Chef
yeah the steak shouldn't have blackened..and it wasnt blackened ina good way, it was AWFUL had to cut crust off top. I didnt even go high high heat like he said with cast iron and on HIGH. I used stainless steel and it was on 7, like med high.

no sugar in mix, i followed directions, shouldnt have ruined it

the steaks were coated in olive oil do u think that is what ruined it
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer
No the oil would not have ruined it. My advice is try it again the same way, except for the spice mixture you used. Try it with just salt and pepper. Since you set the heat to 7, maybe try 5 this time. It could be that your stove just runs a little hotter.

Of course my real advice is to cook it on a grill, but that is another thread altogether
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #18
Head Chef
Originally Posted by GB
Of course my real advice is to cook it on a grill, but that is another thread altogether
Bingo. I get good steaks in the oven broiler using a method I saw on a Food Network show a while back, but although they come out very good, they aren't seared. For my taste there is a very fine line between seared and burned, so I am less of a fan of searing than most here seem to be. But I get excellent results on my Weber gas grill, and do 90% of all my steak cooking on it.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #19
Executive Chef
What kind of stainless steel pain do you have? I'm thinking maybe it wasn't heavy enough to insulate against the heat.

Oh - and that 'pan with the ridges' you have - also great to do steaks with stovetop!

Or maybe it's just time to get the grill out!

I do know how you feel - it's awful to ruin good, expensive product. What book did you say you were using for the instructions?
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #20
Head Chef
just some basic cookbook my girlfriends mom had... just said for one inch thick steak set heat to medium high and cook on 5 minutes one side, then 3-5 minutes on other side... i did that exactly and mys teak was black

yeah, im gonna just do broiler in the future unless im using a grill.

3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote