Recipe for Beef Heart in mushroom gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandoraskettle

Assistant Cook
Hello,
I'm trying to find a recipe for beef heart my mom and grandmother used to
make when I was a child. It was cooked on the stove top in a gravy with mushrooms. They served it over mashed potatoes. Please if anyone how to do this please pass on any helpful tips. They both have passed away and took the recipe with them. :neutral::(

I have never had beef heart. I want to try it. I'm certain I will like it. I like liver of all kinds and always try every food I can.
It looked good grilled over a wood fire with just salt. It had just been butchered.
I saw it on TV.........

Thank you for answering me back.
It's under way as we speak. I took what I remembered as a kid watching my mom. To Rocklobster: Our nationality is a mixture of
French, Choctaw, German and Irish, on my mother's side.
To Cheryl J: I miss my grandma so much. She just passed away in May.
To Roll Bones: I can't stand liver but if you like it then you'll like beef heart. I'll try to get a picture of the finished product and try write down what I did. I'm definitely my mother's daughter and grandma's granddaughter. We never measure anything. We always go by look, smell and taste.

When I was a kid we used to stuff a beef heart with basic bread stuffing, brown it on all sides in a little fat and then braise it on top of the stove or pot roast it in the oven.

You could also use a braciole recipe for the stuffing and cook it in an Italian Sunday gravy, a German Sauerbraten recipe or a Swiss steak recipe.

This sounds like a good starting point, leave out the potatoes and toss in some mushrooms make it your own variation.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14671/beef-heart-braised-in-wine/

Good luck!

Last edited:
here are some older reipies from this list.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/iso-beef-heart-recipe-76344-2.html

I think I started a thred on this also, but could not find it..

Try the google search engine for this specific list, lots of stuff..

as I recall, my fave was something like Beef Heart Kabobs, strips cooked very rare, with a Green dipping sauce..

I will be visiting my Father for Christmass, He sells grain fed beef, and I always get the left over hearts and livers that most people don't want.

Eric.

I came across this article about beef hearts; I thought those of you who enjoy it might find it interesting. There’s a recipe at the end for beef heart in red curry sauce.

No recipe, but a funny story. I think it’s funny.
So one day I make beef heart stew. Serve. My wife loves it.
What is it? She says.
Beef, honey.
Day two.
What is it? I like it.
Beef, honey.
Day three.
What is it?
Beef, honey.
In the middle of the meal.
What kind of beef is it?
Beef heart.
The plate is slowly pushed away. Wife slowly leaves the table. Doesn’t speak to me for three days.
I love beef heart.

Back
Top Bottom