Recipe for filet mignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW kleenex.. when I said "cheaper that way" i.e. buy the WHOLE tenderloin and cut your own steaks... the statement I made was obviously relative and begs the question... "cheaper than WHAT?"...

So, to clarify.. ."cheaper" than buying the individual cut steaks wrapped up fancy in that plastic wrap in the store's meat case...

And I should have added to the last post.. you might try shopping at Costco if you have one around.. of Cash & Carry (a smaller version of a restaurant supply place in a few Western states) http://www.smartandfinal.com/store_locations.asp

And I'm told, but never tried, the Walmart (Sam's? warehouse equivalent) have decent meat too, not sure... but I think they all sell good "Choice" grade meat but I've never seen "Prime"... I'll ask next time I go meat shopping.. been too busy eating crab lately to shop for beef
chesscat.gif

lutzzz said:
Be interested if anyone believes/finds Prime grade tenderloin to be worth the extra $10.00? per lb over Choice? However, I don't recall ever buying/having Prime grade in tenderloin either, except perhaps at a restaurant... so I'm not sure...

Around here it averages about $5 more for Prime. Not really worth it in my opinion.

We tried Sam's beef once. The filets are cheaper than other markets, but not as tasty. Can't remember if they were Choice or not.

BTW, beautiful seafoodl!

Costco's whole tenderloins are choice grade and under $10.00 a pound. I've had good luck with them, making steaks, roasts and using the scraps and tips for misc. other goodies.

I believe Sam's Club and BJ's also sell choice grade meats.

lutzzz said:
Ironchef... you mean these things?
crabpot7.jpg

Sorry.. ya know Dungeness Crab is like s e x.. it's almost impossible to get too much :)

We cheated and bought some shrimp and frozen corn.. and I had to buy the mussels too although I can usually find some nice Penn Cove mussels.. not enough time... and cooked everything up like this...
crabpot10.jpg

Dude....that was not cool posting those pics!!!! :LOL:

I ate something similar to that at this place in Seattle right on the waterfront near the Marriot I think. You could choose from I think 5 different mixed seafood boils (they got progressively higher as the amount/variety of seafood increased) and they put it on newspaper and gave you mallets to break the crab shells. I forget the name, but it was in a little shopping area on a pier that had an arcade in there. It was pretty close to the aquarium.

You know where they had really good food? At the Seattle Art Museum. That little cafe in there was really good.

Andy M. said:
Costco's whole tenderloins are choice grade and under $10.00 a pound. I've had good luck with them, making steaks, roasts and using the scraps and tips for misc. other goodies.

I believe Sam's Club and BJ's also sell choice grade meats.

Julia Child bought her meat at either Costco or BJ's ... I think the former.

SAM's meat is all choice, and you usually can't beat their price.

Walmart sells select (choice on occasion) and most if not all their meat is injected.

Rainee said:
Walmart sells select (choice on occasion) and most if not all their meat is injected.

And that stuff is plain nasty! The only meat I'll buy at Walmart is Louisiana sausage.

Rainee said:
SAM's meat is all choice, and you usually can't beat their price.

Injected beef? Yuck. I hadn't heard of that.

whole beef tenderloins from costco get my vote. i trim them and freeze them in thick portions, roughly 2 to 3 inches.
i also agree with using only a little salt and pepper, then cooking on a charcoal grill. they are sometimes served with buttered mushrooms and a thyme/red wine/shallot reduction.
the trimmings from the whole tenderloin get chopped tossed into some butter in a skillet or onto the goerge foreman, then are served to our cats as a treat, or to the stray cats in the neighborhood. haven't seen a mouse in years...:chef:

Bucky:

You're a generous guy. I use the tenderloin trimmings for myself!

On another note, I may be in the minority. I prefer my filet mignon pan seared and finsihed in the oven. Other steaks, sirloin strip or ribeye go to the grill.

i hope you don't have to eat them from a bowl on the floor, andy...:)

my cats get upset when i stick my head in between them for some.
(i won't even mention what happens with the litterbox!)

ironchef said:
Try this with your steak.

Rosemary and Port Wine Demi-Glace

Yield: 1/2 – 2/3 cups

Ingredients:

2 c. Veal or Beef Stock
1 c. Ruby Port Wine
2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
3 Shallots, finely minced
½ c. Leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp. Canola Oil
3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Kosher salt to taste

Method:

Sauté the shallots and leeks in oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the port, and reduce until the liquid becomes thick and syrupy (it should be able to lightly coat the back of a spoon). Add the stock and bay leaves, bring to a boil, and then simmer until reduced by half. Lightly bruise the rosemary, add it to the sauce. Continue to reduce the sauce until approx 1/2 to 2/3 cups remain. Strain into a separate pan, then off the heat, whisk in the butter until it’s emulsified. Season to taste with the kosher salt.

**Because this sauce is concentrated, it is NOT meant to drench the meat in. 2-3 tablespoons of sauce will suffice because the flavor is so rich. You don’t want to overpower the meat.
Ironchef, just spotted this recipe..'ve been into making my own, chicken , beef and veal stock..And have been wanting a good sauce for some beautiful fillets and ribeyes we've been treated to. This looks just the ticket..Thanks..It looks so good:)
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom