"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I don't recommend any "spices" for filet mignon... they have very delicate flavor and can be overpowed easily and I personally find it difficult to cook a 1 3/4" or 2" filet mignon successfully on the stovetop alone, but then cooking is kinda new to me and I'm still learning ... I like my filet medium rare and to get that degree of doneness in a fry pan alone takes too long.. the crust can get too dark, as in "burnt" a bit... I guess I could cook it at a lower heat and longer... but I don't get that same "semi-charred" crust that way.

So, the solution for me is, if cooking indoors (which is rare 'cause I cook 99.44/100th % of my steaks on a Weber kettle using lump charcoal), to preheat my oven to about 425 degrees while I'm heating my heavy fry pan on the stove over medium high heat (5 minutes of so)... (I use a lodge cast iron pan but a good heavy stainless as in All-Clad or equivalent works too).

Then I just salt & pepper my steak, add a splash or two of olive oil in the heated pan and immediately toss the steaks in (I turn on my overhead vent 'cause there will be some smoke)...

I cook them on one side about 5 minutes (don't touch them.. just let them get a good crust), then turn them over and immediately put them in the oven (middle rack) for about 7 minutes.. that comes out medium rare for me... 5 minutes would be rare and 9 minutes would be medium well.. or thereabouts.

Then let them sit for at least 5 minutes before you cut into them.

On the Weber 22" kettle, I do about the same thing... I use lump which burns hotter than briquettes... after it gets going, I stack it heavy on one side and just a few pieces on the other.. then I sear the steaks for 3-4 minutes on the "hot" side (you could cook for 5 minutes if you're using briquettes).. then, with tongs, pick them up and turn them over and place on the "cool" side of the grill.. put the lid on.. finish my Guinness, and about 5-7 minutes later I have a nice medium rare filet mignon...

Old 05-07-2005, 02:07 AM   #12
Master Chef

i like filet, but am another that prefers ribeye/delmonico. it's definately more flavorful and very tender. as for the filet, it requires very little in the way of seasoning. as was mentioned, salt and pepper. and forget about steak sauce. it's just not necessary. Ruth'sChris serves thier steaks in butter. so does my Grandpa. it's delicious.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef

We used to do 'everything' filet for catering gigs - you know, like 'everything' bagels; make a mixture of salt, pepper, dried garlic chips, dried onion chips, poppy seed, sesame seed. Oil the filet, then roll it in the mixture, and roast til med-rare.

Served it with a green-peppercorn mayo -

GREEN PEPPERCORN SAUCE

makes 2 ½ cups

2 cups mayo
¼ cup dijon
3T green peppercorns
2 cloves garlic
2T lemon juice

Blend in processor til smooth.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Being relatively new to the cooking scene, unlike most of you, I wanted to be sure I was talking about "apples & apples", so to speak. So I did some checking to be sure I was going to be "on topic" in this thread.. I found these definitions (among others) on the net.

1.) "The filet mignon is usually 1 to 2 inches thick and l 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter."
2.) "...fillet, filet — a boneless steak cut from the tenderloin of beef."
3.) "The noun filet mignon has one meaning: small steak cut from the thick end of a beef tenderloin."
4.) "The tenderloin runs along either side of the spine, and is usually harvested as two long snake-like shaped cuts of beef. The tenderloin is sometimes sold whole. If the short end of the tenderloin is cut into portions before cooking, that portion is known as Filet Mignon, or the filet." etc. etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref: Dictionary definition of filet mignon:
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2004, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. More from Dictionary
Food Glossary information about filet mignon
© 2002 HungryMonster.com™. All Rights Reserved. More from Food Glossary
WordNet information about filet mignon
WordNet 1.7.1 Copyright © 2001 by Princeton University.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally prefer other cuts of beef for my steaks... I'm not sure which I really prefer.. a ribeye, or "new york" strip, or a "t-bone" where I can have the best of both worlds. I have various reasons for preferring each... perhaps coinciding with the phase of the moon or the tides.. have to give it some thought which I'm not up to right now.

It might be interesting for someone to start a thread about tenderloin "roasts" and/or which beef steak is "best" and why... Everyone seems to have their own preference and reasons for it... there's another popular steak around here called a "hangar"? (sp?) .. a tougher cut of beef but supposedly with excellent flavor IF prepared properly...

If someone does, I'll probably kill the thread by posting to it later I'm going out to poach some more Dungeness Crab before they molt.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
It might be interesting for someone to start a thread about tenderloin "roasts" and/or which beef steak is "best" and why... Everyone seems to have their own preference and reasons for it... there's another popular steak around here called a "hangar"? (sp?) .. a tougher cut of beef but supposedly with excellent flavor IF prepared properly...
There was a post already like this that someone started awhile back. You can search for that thread if you want.

A hanger steak is similar to flank or skirt steak in texture and flavor. You can interchange the three steaks in any recipe.

And send some of that crab down to LA will ya?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:08 AM   #16
Head Chef

One nice addition to tenderloin, be it steaks or chateuabriand (sp?) is a nice crust of bleu or gorganzola cheese. If you combine that with a tad of horseradish & a bit of parmesan cheese, add it to the steak when it's almost done and toss it under a top broiler til it crusts. Simply heavenly!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #17
Head Chef

One thing to keep in mind when grilling or broiling a fillet. It is typically not well marbled and thus is easy to dry out and ruin. The reason for the traditional wrap of bacon around the edge is to help maintain the moisture content of the the meat, not really for flavoring. I never cook a fillet more than medium rare.

Like others have said, I too prefer a rib-eye, either with or without bone, over a fillet.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Ironchef... you mean these things?

Sorry.. ya know Dungeness Crab is like s e x.. it's almost impossible to get too much

We cheated and bought some shrimp and frozen corn.. and I had to buy the mussels too although I can usually find some nice Penn Cove mussels.. not enough time... and cooked everything up like this...

Now that I've gone TOTALLY off-topic.. back to the topic...

Rob.. I'll drink to that... bleu cheese is GREAT (IMHO) on any steak... and I love fresh horseradish... if/when I can find it in the stores... `most people here look a fresh horseradish and ask the produce guys.. "what's THIS stuff?"

I remember the first time I did fresh horseradish.. I peeled it (not easy) and wanted to shred it but didn't have the right grater or something.. wasn't working.. so I cut it in chunks and tossed it in my food processor.. ran it for awhile until it was in very small "grains".. then I leaned over, opened the lid, and the fumes about flat knocked me on my back... AMAZING

man.. there ain't NOTHING more potent that fresh horseradish I know off anyway,, but it's just so much better than the jar stuff... much better "personality"...

Now you all have me fired up to buy a whole tenderloin... cut my own steaks (much cheaper here).

RP...I've never wrapped them in bacon... great idea.. gonna try that... time for second cup of coffee.. back later.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Sure filet mignon is cheap. If you think four 16 ounce 2" thick bone in ones for $219.95 is cheap.

http://www.allenbrothers.com/findPro...categoryId=100
Old 05-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Sure filet mignon is cheap. If you think four 16 ounce 2" thick bone in ones for $219.95 is cheap
Well, kleenex.. IF ya wanna shop on the Internet & buy PRIME grade tenderloin... you're obviously right... but I'm not sure Prime is THAT much better than Choice in a tenderloin.. by nature, a tenderloin really doesn't have much "marbling" anyway... so I'm kinda at a loss as to what makes it Prime.... or the difference.

Anyway, here (Seattle area) I can buy Choice tenderloin.. to be fashionable I can even get the "Black Angus" stuff (not sure it's any better though) at about $15.95-$18.95 per lb (less on sale).. and I can cut THREE steaks from one pound... about the right size, IMHO, for a "filet mignon"...

If I can get pretty good tenderloin here in Seattle (not known for good beef.. not too many cows swimming around in the Puget Sound lately), you can probably find some where you live at a "sane" price and not have to buy off the Internet..???

Be interested if anyone believes/finds Prime grade tenderloin to be worth the extra $10.00? per lb over Choice? However, I don't recall ever buying/having Prime grade in tenderloin either, except perhaps at a restaurant... so I'm not sure...

Tags
None