"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
Master Chef

Recipe for filet mignon

What type of beef is best to use, and what kind of spices taste best.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The term "filet mignon" is a French derivative, the literal meaning is small (mignon) bone-less meat (filet). Cut from the small end of the beef tenderloin.

Depending upon what part of the United States you're in, the tenderloin muscle of the cow or short loin, becomes Filet Mignon, Chateaubriand, Tournedos, Medallions, or Filet de Boeuf. Filet Mignon is also know as Tenderloin Steak (in fact most often I see it as Tenderloin Steak).

Filet Mignon or Tenderloin Steak is a cut of meat that is considered the king of steaks because of its tender, melt in the mouth texture. It comes from the small end of the tenderloin (called the short loin) which is found on the back rib cage of the animal. Because this area of the animal is not weight-bearing, the connective tissue is not toughened by exercise resulting in extremely tender meat. Filet mignon slices found in the market are generally one to two inches thick and two to three inches in diameter, but true mignons are no more than one inch in diameter and are taken from the tail end.

As far as spices, anything that you like with beef. Check the recipes here in the beef section, I'm sure there are some good recipes for it. If you don't see anything you like holler. I'm sure someone will have another one.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Master Chef

Filet mignon, as Rainee explains, is a type (cut) of steak.

It is quite pricey and, IMO, should not be overly seasoned. Salt is a must and some pepper. That's enough for me, since the whole point of spending big bucks on filet is to taste the meat, not seasoning.

I save seasoning (eg, teriyaki, etc.) for lesser cuts that need more "dressing up."
Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Just a bit of info to add to Reinee's excellent post. I personally find the tenderloin to have less flavor than a good rib-steak, especially those cut closer to the shoulder, or chuck as it's normally called. As the chuck is weight bearing, it gets more blood, which in turn feeds the muscle tissue with more nutrients and added flavor. The rib-steak is still tender, and if from a gery good cow (USDA Prime), is very tender. Give me a Delmonico anytime over a Fillet Mingon.

The fillet, of course is a great cut for dressing up a meal. Wrap teh outside in bacon, Grill it over fire, set it on top of an artichoke heart, and maybe top with a portabella cap of about the same diameter (not in the original French recipe, but very tasty) and you have the classic tournedo.

In any case, you can't go wrong with what Rainee tells you. When it comes to beef and pork, she knows her stuff.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

ok

So, basically, beef tenderloin is best. Thank you so much.
You all are walking cooking enyclopedias . You all are great!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Beef tenderloin is considered the best texasgirl - but I'm with Goodweed on this one - give me a ribeye/Delmonico steak anytime.

Now that's not saying I haven't bought a few tenderloins in my time - cut into nice thick steaks. I like olive oil, salt, pepper, and I make a horseradish crust similar to the Wildfire Horseradish Porkchops recipe posted here. That's pretty tasty on the outside edge.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Sous Chef

just a suggestion..try a dry rub of salt, pepper, and CARDAMOM! throw that bad boy (or girl) on the grill for about 3-4 per side...YUMMY!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

You might consider a T-bone steak or a Porterhouse steak.

Both of these steaks have a bone running through it. On one side of the bone, there is a small tenderloin steak and on the other side of the bone there is a top loin steak, which they call a "New York Strip steak" here.

http://animalscience.unl.edu/meats/id/Beef7-1.htm
Old 05-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Just to clarify, mignon actually means "delicate" in french. So the steak filet is tender, not small (which is "petit" in french). And so far, I haven't found filet mignon at restaurants in France. Of course, with all of the other great food, why look?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Try this with your steak.

Rosemary and Port Wine Demi-Glace

Yield: 1/2 – 2/3 cups

Ingredients:

2 c. Veal or Beef Stock
1 c. Ruby Port Wine
2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
3 Shallots, finely minced
˝ c. Leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp. Canola Oil
3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Kosher salt to taste

Method:

Sauté the shallots and leeks in oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the port, and reduce until the liquid becomes thick and syrupy (it should be able to lightly coat the back of a spoon). Add the stock and bay leaves, bring to a boil, and then simmer until reduced by half. Lightly bruise the rosemary, add it to the sauce. Continue to reduce the sauce until approx 1/2 to 2/3 cups remain. Strain into a separate pan, then off the heat, whisk in the butter until it’s emulsified. Season to taste with the kosher salt.

**Because this sauce is concentrated, it is NOT meant to drench the meat in. 2-3 tablespoons of sauce will suffice because the flavor is so rich. You don’t want to overpower the meat.

Tags
None