Recipe Idea; Corned Beef Cabbage Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was just eating a yummy soup made from last night's corned beef and cabbage leftovers. It gave me an idea for a new kind of cabbage roll, a corned beef cabbage roll. I mean, what goes better than corned beef and cabbage, right? DW can't eat cooked cabbage. It cause her some digestive stress. Otherwise, this would be for supper tonight. Here's how I envision the recipe:

1 lb. leftover corned beef, cubed
cabbage leaves, seperated (can be already cooked)
sliced onion
2 cups cooked rice
butter
AP flour
2 cups braising liquid from the cooked corned beef.

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Heat the butter in a skillet, then add the cabbage leaves. Cover and cook until the cabbage is softened. When the cabbage leaves are soft, remove them from the pan and lay them out on parchment paper. Add a tbs. or two of rice on top of each leaf, followed by a generous portion of corned beef and sliced onion. Roll. Place the cabbage rolls into a rectangular baking pan, cover with foil, and place into the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.

20 minutes before the corned beef is done, melt 2 tbs. butter in you skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 tbs. flour to the melted butter and cook until blonde. Whisk in the broth until a smooth sauce (veloute) is formed. Pour this over the cabbage rolls and place back into the oven for ten more minutes. Serve.

I would really love to make this, and am hoping someone will try it with their leftover corned beef and cabbage. If you do, please tell me how it turns out.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would really love to make this, and am hoping someone will try it with their leftover corned beef and cabbage. If you do, please tell me how it turns out.:yum:

I haven't made it (sounds delicious) but I did, just by coincidence, buy something is similar at my local Market of Choice deli:

Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls with Dubliner Cheddar
Slow-cooked corned beef brisket with Irish cheddar, chives and thyme rolled into cabbage leaves and simmered in a beautiful bechamel sauce.

10.49 lb

On the Menu | Market of Choice

They must be reading DC. :yum:
I'm eating it tonight and will let you know how I liked their version.

Can someone tell me more about prepping the cabbage leaves for stuffing?

I have made stuffed cabbage before and found preparing the leaves to be the hardest part.
I released the leaves form the head individually and par boiled them. I am not sure if I should remove the rib or leave it in. I know last time (years ago) it was easier to roll if the rib was removed, but left less space for the filling.
Also, I used regular green cabbage.
Is this the correct cabbage for stuffed cabbage.
Any suggestions are extremely welcomed and appreciated.

Am I the only one who cooks veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions) with a corn beef brisket? What do you do the with left over veggies if you are using rice in the rolls? :angel:

Am I the only one who cooks veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions) with a corn beef brisket? What do you do the with left over veggies if you are using rice in the rolls? :angel:
My veggies were cooked seperate, and in just enough quantity to feed DW and myself for one meal. I had leftover broth, cabbage, onions, and a container full of uncooked rice. I used the leftovers to make my soup, with the added rice.

The recipe just popped into my head as I was eating the soup.

I have made stuffed cabbage before and found preparing the leaves to be the hardest part.
I released the leaves form the head individually and par boiled them. I am not sure if I should remove the rib or leave it in. I know last time (years ago) it was easier to roll if the rib was removed, but left less space for the filling.
I always thought life was too short to stuff cabage until I read Jane Grigson's idea of layering the cabbage and the filling in the pot instead of all that faffing about with blanching and rolling.

"Stuffed Cabbage in the Troo Style"
Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book - Jane Grigson - Google Books
Rather a long link address but the basic recipe is worth having. You can fiddle around with the ingredients and add things if you wish. I sometimes put thick slices of apple in if I'm using sausage meat as in the recipe.

Last edited:

I cook it all together and the next day the leftovers become a cross between hash and bubble and squeak, not very pretty, but very tasty.

The broth that is left becomes a pot of split pea or bean soup.

The Chief's Irish Galumpkis do sound good!

I think it would be fun to make an Irish eggroll with the leftover chopped corned beef, cabbage, onion, carrots etc... in a wonton skin and deep fry them.

I usually blanch (parboil) the cabbage (core removed), dunking the cabbage core side up in and out of the water for about 2-3 minutes, and then pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes. I use green cabbage.

This might give you some ideas of how to improve on your technique re: prepping the cabbage

How to Make Cabbage Rolls: 25 Steps - wikiHow

I think cabbage as a delivery device is like grape leaves. The possibilities for fillings are endless. Here are some ideas:

Moroccan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls | Bev Cooks
Effortnesslessly: Three Way Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Easy recipe for Asian style stuffed cabbage rolls with leftover chicken and rice - Seattle Specialty Grocery | Examiner.com

I always thought life was too short to stuff cabage until I read Jane Grigson's idea of layering the cabbage and the filling in the pot instead of all that faffing about with blanching and rolling.

"Stuffed Cabbage in the Troo Style"
Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book - Jane Grigson - Google Books
Rather a long link address but the basic recipe is worth having. You can fiddle around with the ingredients and add things if you wish. I sometimes put thick slices of apple in if I'm using sausage meat as in the recipe.

The link will not work MC.

I usually blanch (parboil) the cabbage (core removed), dunking the cabbage core side up in and out of the water for about 2-3 minutes, and then pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes. I use green cabbage.

This might give you some ideas of how to improve on your technique re: prepping the cabbage

How to Make Cabbage Rolls: 25 Steps - wikiHow

I think cabbage as a delivery device is like grape leaves. The possibilities for fillings are endless. Here are some ideas:

Moroccan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls | Bev Cooks
Effortnesslessly: Three Way Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Easy recipe for Asian style stuffed cabbage rolls with leftover chicken and rice - Seattle Specialty Grocery | Examiner.com

Thanks CWS

Reference post # 2 where I had a Market of Choice Dubliner roll from their deli.

It was crappy! I think it was their fault (how they cooked/prepared it) and not the idea of it.

Wish the Chief had sent me some of his instead! ;)

Until I worked with an Irish woman about 30 years ago I thought that all corned beef was that nasty fatty stuff in tins that we had for Monday school dinner with tinned baked beans and mashed potato which we guessed was reconstituted powder. Bleuch!

Renee's account of how she prepared and cooked real corned beef was a revelation and I suspect it was very like the corned beef you mention.

FDR was A Very Nice Man for sending us all those tins of corned beef when Hitler was being nasty to us but I think I might have become a vegetarian if I'd been alive then and had to eat it! Admittedly, tinned corned beef has improved since my school days and is a lot less fatty. I can take it in corned beef hash but still can't stomach it in sandwiches.

Roll Bones, I make stuffed cabbage rolls all the time. I remove the core, put the head in boiling water and remove the leaves with tongs as they soften. I have heard that coring the cabbage and putting it in the freezer, then removing it the next day and letting it defrost will soften the leaves the same without the boiling water. A time saver, if it works. I've never done it, because stuffed cabbage rolls are usually a last minute decision, where I run to the store early in the morning for the ingredients.

When the leaves are cool enough to handle, I use a paring knife to pare down the thick vein, making it flat, instead of completely cutting it out. It's easier to roll. When I roll them, I lay the leaf flat and put the filling in the middle. I fold over one side and roll it up, then poke all the edges on the other side into the meat. This makes a tight seal and they stay closed. Other than freezing the cabbage, I don't think there's an easy way to do it unless you make the cabbage roll casserole as others have suggested. I tried it and we don't like it. The cabbage rolls are a family favorite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom