"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Recipes for ground beef? (urgent!)

I need to use up the hamburger in the fridge, but I need to make something I can put in the fridge and eat later. I want to make something different- not lasagna, burgers, meatballs, chili, or stroganoff. Any tried and true recipes you would be willing to share? Thanks in advance!

Oh, I happened to be out and about so I am in the grocery store parking lot lol- if you could put a rush on it it would be much appreciated! Something that I could leave in the crackpot would work too

Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hamburger vegetable soup.
Sloppy joes
Check out some Lebanese recipes.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Master Chef

My first thought is to make taco meat with it. You can use any taco seasoning or salsa to add to the ground beef, it can be kept in the crock pot or the fridge and reheated easily. I usually just use a packet of seasoning since it gives us the flavor we want and I add a can of whole kernel corn and a can of pinto beans to the mix. Sometimes I'll add a can of diced tomatoes when making for company but my guys prefer it without the tomatoes. The meat can be used in corn or flour tortillas, on lettuce for a salad, or over chips for nachos. Very versatile.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Master Chef

Crackpot? LOL

How about a soup, a homemade hamburger helper, goulash, I make a meatloaf mix (mine has red and green bell peppers, onion, hot ketchup, hot mustard, cheddar cheese, egg and bread crumbs) and then mold it over a par cooked whole head of cauliflower then bake.

Meatloaf surprise (Not your ordinary meatloaf)

The surprise revealed - cauliflower center.

Dinner is served with mashed taters (salt, black pepper, butter and sour cream added) and gravy.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Head Chef

Salisbury steak. Add green pepper, onions, s&p, a little nutmeg, mushrooms. Make large patties and saute gently. Add a can of mushroom soup and simmer till tender.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Salisbury steak. Add green pepper, onions, s&p, a little nutmeg, mushrooms. Make large patties and saute gently. Add a can of mushroom soup and simmer till tender.
Good one! That is a recipe my mother used to make. Without the peppers, and nutmeg. I think I will do that one soon.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Ha ha crackpot. Silly iPhone auto correct. Anyway, any thoughts on maybe stuffing uncooked manicotti noodles and putting them in the crock pot with sauce and a little extra liquid?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Head Chef

I would think that would work but be sure there is enough liquid in the pot and start it out on high.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I think I'm going to do that... The bf should like it because it'll be done right around the time he gets home from work, and he loooooovvvvveeeeessss spinach. I will have to do the salisbury steak some other time. It is something different that I don't make all the time, and it does sound good. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Master Chef

Guess I'm too late with this Skittle, but you might want it for another time. It was really good......on the dinner thread from last Tues.

I threw this together for a one pan meal, and it turned out to be a keeper.
Made some meatballs and browned them. Put them aside, and sauted some sliced Crimini mushrooms. Added one cup or Orzo pasta, an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix, a 14oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and 2 cups of water. I added the partly cooked meatballs back to the pan and simmered covered for 15 minutes, removed the cover to simmer another 5 minutes.
Dang fine meal with a green salad.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2. __________________

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, beef