Reverse Reverse Searing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Why wouldn't it give you the same results?

First you do the scorching hot sear on both sides then you finish it in a low slow oven to a predetermined internal temperature.

Because when raw meat hits a searing hot pan, by the the time the surface is well browned, a gray ring of overcooked meat has formed just under the crust. That makes it a little tough.

With the reverse sear, the meat is cooked to below the final temperature, so it's underdone when it goes into the pan. It needs to be seared for a shorter period of time because the meat, including the surface, is already hot, so it doesn't form a ring of overcooked meat. It's perfectly tender from edge to edge.

Also, once it reaches the temperature where you want to sear it, you can turn the oven down to keep warm and hold the meat there for an hour or two before searing and it won't overcook. I had to test this a few years ago when I made a two-bone prime rib for the two of us for Christmas dinner. I ran out of spoons* right as it was coming to temperature and had to rest for an hour or so before I could finish it and serve dinner. It came out perfectly.

* https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

Last edited:
I'd be happy to taste test the steaks, if you want to make it both ways, reverse sear and reverse reverse sear.

Why wouldn't it give you the same results?

First you do the scorching hot sear on both sides then you finish it in a low slow oven to a predetermined internal temperature.

That's the way I do mine.

In a CI skillet which goes directly into the preheated oven.

Why?
Resting is the key to making a it work, not searing and then roasting and re searing? why would you do that?

Last edited:
Reverse reverse searing?

Math teacher: "In multiplication, when there are two negatives the result is always positive, but when there are two positives the result is never negative."

Voice from the back of the classroom: "Yeah, right."

No re-searing. Searing, resting, roasting. Instead of roasting, resting, searing.
You mean searing, roasting, resting, right? It's really just searing, not reverse reverse searing.

Are you still asking? Because I explained above why you won't get the same result.

You mean searing, roasting, resting, right? It's really just searing, not reverse reverse searing.

Are you still asking? Because I explained above why you won't get the same result.

I was responding to S&P's post about re-searing.

I read your post. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom