"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Head Chef

Reverse sear?

So, I started out with a frozen rib steak. I had previously tried the reverse sear method with good results, and might have done so with this one, but I hadn't decided yet--with the oven pan and rack there is a bit more cleanup. Anyway, I put the steak to thaw in a pot of water and added some hot water to make it warm, but I forgot the tap was on. The steak more than thawed, it became warm. I checked with the Thermopen and found it had reached 100* F. I decided to go with the procedure as if I had warmed it in the oven, except I patted it dry and seasoned it at this point. The results were excellent! Medium rare and juicy with a nice crust. An interesting alternative to the oven?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Cook

You've discovered the "hot tubbing" method! Same as a reverse sear, but some think it gives a more even doneness. Most put them in a ziplock bag and put into warmed water until 100*, just like you did, and then season and sear.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Head Chef

Well I've never heard of "hot tubbing," but it did work well. Seems especially appropriate if you're already thawing it.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Intersesting.

Another method along the same lines as sous-vide. Do you think you lost flavor since the meat was submersed in water?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Intersesting.

Another method along the same lines as sous-vide. Do you think you lost flavor since the meat was submersed in water?
Well, the meat was in the plastic freezer bag I had frozen it in, so it didn't come into direct contact with the water. I found the meat to be at least as tasty as it's twin that was cooked fresh a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

How long was it in that 100 degree water? That is not the safest thing to do.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How long was it in that 100 degree water? That is not the safest thing to do.
It was in for maybe 45 minutes, and since the meat made it to 100 degrees, I assume the water was somewhat warmer, not that that would affect the safety factor. It's not uncommon to let a steak come close to room temperature before searing, so I didn't think there was cause for concern. Perhaps I'm mistaken?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I am no expert bullseye, but it sounds like that amount of time would not cause a problem. If it were a few hours then it might be a different story.

For future thawing, use your water method, but use cold water (below 40 degrees) so that you are safe. Believe it or not, that will still be the fastest way (aside from microwave thawing, yuck) to thaw your meat and it is safe to do if you water stays below 40 and the meat is completely submerged.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
It was in for maybe 45 minutes, and since the meat made it to 100 degrees, I assume the water was somewhat warmer, not that that would affect the safety factor. It's not uncommon to let a steak come close to room temperature before searing, so I didn't think there was cause for concern. Perhaps I'm mistaken?
Can you take a measurement of your tap water temp?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Can you take a measurement of your tap water temp?

Thanks.
Since it was not full on hot, I'd say the water in the pot reached maybe 120* F.

Tags
None