"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
Everymom

Reverse Sear

OK, I've never done this before. My understanding is that you cook low temp til you reach the doneness you like, pull out of oven and rest the meat then sear the outside. This allows for your entire piece of beef to be the right doneness rather than grades from well done to rare.

Is that correct? Any particular tips or tricks? And if you use this technique regularly I'd love some input. TIA

Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Head Chef

Although , most times it's done on a BBQ you can do it in the oven then finish on the stove in a cast iron pan.
The idea is to heat to about 10 degrees less then finished, then in the pan for browness and doneness.
And yes, it does make a good cut of meat more tender.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

For myself, I use a proven combination of time and temperature to cook by, especially steak. Assuming 1" to 1-1/4" I dry pan fry in a smoking hot CI skillet for 3 minutes (do NOT touch before the 3 minutes are through.) Flip using tongs and cook another 3 minutes. Next, for 3 minutes bake in a pre-heated 350 oven, and then remove and let it rest for 3 minutes. You'll then have a perfect medium rare steak with caramel colored crust along the edges. Time can be adjusted based on the thickness, adding one minute for every 1/2".
This formula has always worked for me. Perhaps you like your meat a different doneness. The point I'm trying to make is for you to figure out the formula of time and temperature that works for you, and record it so you can use it again in the future without having to guess.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
For myself, I use a proven combination of time and temperature to cook by, especially steak. Assuming 1" to 1-1/4" I dry pan fry in a smoking hot CI skillet for 3 minutes (do NOT touch before the 3 minutes are through.) Flip using tongs and cook another 3 minutes. Next, for 3 minutes bake in a pre-heated 350 oven, and then remove and let it rest for 3 minutes. You'll then have a perfect medium rare steak with caramel colored crust along the edges. Time can be adjusted based on the thickness, adding one minute for every 1/2".
This formula has always worked for me. Perhaps you like your meat a different doneness. The point I'm trying to make is for you to figure out the formula of time and temperature that works for you, and record it so you can use it again in the future without having to guess.
Yes, your cooking your steak in a normal fashion, but reverse sear is just the opposite, You bake, then sear.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Head Chef

Here is a reverse sear on a rib-eye, the steak was cooked indirect neer coals, then wrapped in beer soaked hay and finished off over direct hot coals.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Head Chef

I just watched this the other night and am definitely going to try it after my next trip to the butcher!

http://youtu.be/GZ4xl7XJM08

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Reverse sear is a great technique. The only steaks that we don't cook over a hardwood charcoal fire, are au poivre and palomilla.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Master Chef

OK I bought PRIME cut sirloin (look at that price for prime!!) and wanted it to be perfect. SOOOOOOOOOOO this is what I did.

Prime sirloin steak cooked via reverse searing. I seasoned and let it sit for about 1 hour. Put in 275F oven for approx. 25 minutes for 2 -inch steak till internal temp was 90F. Then seared on a smoking hot cast iron stovetop grill pan till internal temp was 117F.

Let me tell you this was FANTASTIC!! I always do my thick prime cut sirloin this way now.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

Oh wow, that looks absolutely perfect!!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thank you Z. That was the first time I did it that way and it was great. I wouldn't use a regular flat pan unless I had to. The grill pan lets the juices drain off so the meat doesn't "steam". Plus you get the grill marks.

Tags
other