Reverse Sear Ribeyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I'm more confused than I normally am? How does a better quality cut enhance the affects of dry brining....?
Dry brining is for flavor so if you start with quality then you will end with a more flavorful quality. If you start with a lesser cut then you will have a more flavorful lesser cut.

I thought the dry brining was mainly for texture? How salty does it get using kosher salt? I kind of like having the seasoned crust against the unseasoned center of the meat.
It depends, but in general it seasons the meat just right. You can still get your seasoned crust on the outside.

Dry brining is for flavor so if you start with quality then you will end with a more flavorful quality. If you start with a lesser cut then you will have a more flavorful lesser cut.

So salt adds flavor to a rib-eye (quality) and to a round steak (lesser quality) equally. Of course the rib-eye would be the better of the two due to more marbling = fat = beef flavor = tenderness.

Yum....off to buy rib-eyes! Since you started this...I'll send you the bill:LOL:

Have Fun!

Do not be scared of dry brining. It is a very popular technique that many restaurants use. I would recommend dry dry brining for much longer than an hour though. I like to go 24 hours or so.

Salt will not ruin your steak Jeekinz. It will just make it better.

I tried it. Twenty-four hours on the button. The meat was a large, thick porterhouse instead of the ribeyes I normally use. My wife and I both agreed that the finished project was too salty. I'm going to limit my dry brining to an hour and a half as that has worked for me every single time.

I RS some 3/4 - 1" thick ribeyes last night. The oven was set to 200F and the steaks were room temp going in. I removed them pretty much exactly at an internal temp of 100F. Then finished in a pan like I did previously, except used some garlic this time.
;) They came out very tender and medium rare throughout. So it works on thinner, or regular-size cuts as well.

I may try some thick cut pork chops over the weekend.

If you do, please report the results. Thanks. :)

I RS two 1" thick bone-in chops last night. For one, it took a little longer for the meat to come up to temp in the oven. Since I needed a higher final internal temp, I took them out at 110F. Took about 25 minutes, then finished them in a pan.

The final result was "eh". I removed them at 150F and let them rest. The meat was juicy and pretty tender but I can get the same results or better in a pan in less time.

Ill have to try this once.

To answer UBs Q.

A more expensive cut of meat usually has less natural flavor shining threw since it is so tender. So the Tenderloin will greatly benefit from the dry brine as opposed to a skirt that has alot of flavor but is tough.

Its basiclly like this for cuts of beef. (they all have flavor to them)

Tender = not much flavor
Tough = tons of flavor

Here is the scenario, that I would like to see played out.

Buy four ribeyes, same place same loin, same seasonings. sear two finish in the oven, reverse sear two. compare taste.

AC

GhettoRacingKid said:
A more expensive cut of meat usually has less natural flavor shining threw since it is so tender.

I disagree…My taste buds tell me a Rib-eye (tender & more expensive cut) has more natural beef flavor than a bottom round steak (tough & less expensive cut) due to intramuscular fat (marbling)

GhettoRacingKid said:
So the Tenderloin will greatly benefit from the dry brine as opposed to a skirt that has alot of flavor but is tough.

How?? By adding saltiness plus a trace of any other herbs and spices used?? None of which is beef flavor. I don't equate the two.

IMO Tenderloin (very tender and expensive) would benefit from anything you do to it. On my palate it has very little natural beef flavor due to little intramuscular fat. Its tenderness comes from the fact it is a little used, if any, muscle.

GhettoRacingKid said:
Tender = not much flavor
Tough = tons of flavor

What role does beef fat…both finish, and marbling play in your beef flavor equation??

IMO Tenderloin (very tender and expensive) would benefit from anything you do to it. On my palate it has very little natural beef flavor due to little intramuscular fat. Its tenderness comes from the fact it is a little used, if any, muscle.

I totally agree 110%. I'll pass on a filet for a strip or ribeye anyday. Not really a fan of tenderloin. Even a skirt steak instead. Now there's some flavor.

Thanks for the response. I'l take a pass on pork for the time being but I do plan on trying RS on boneless chicken breasts.

Buzz

Well, since I did the pork, you must reply on the chicken.

img_695833_0_13e9e22c4062381dee5e4f92cb23a34c.gif

I totally agree 110%. I'll pass on a filet for a strip or ribeye anyday. Not really a fan of tenderloin. Even a skirt steak instead. Now there's some flavor.
but thats what i was saying or at least trying to. the more tender cuts especialyl the tenderloin/filet are lacking flavor so the salt brining will bring out the natural flavor that is very lacking.

Any piece of meat will benefit from some added flavors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom