Reverse Sear Ribeyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great, maybe more effort to go through than I would care for. But I think the effort/expirimentation is worth the praise!

Yes, it's nice to have another way to play around with when the mood strikes. I like reading about this reverse sear.

I don't know. Like I said, never took the temperature once the ribeye was pulled from the oven. All I know is the result - perfect every time, juicy and very tasty. The salting draws liquid from the meat, but after an hour or so the meat is drier than the salt so the liquid and flavoring is pulled back in. I never was very good at getting it right before I started reverse searing. Now it's a no brainer.

I might add that it is best to use steak that is both good quality and thick.

Edit: In addition to the salt, I also add either pepper or a commercial rub.

Thanks for your responses. I see that you are dry brining as well as using the reverse sear method. I've done dry brining on several occasions with some success. I've never done the reverse sear method...but hope to remedy that situation soon. I was just wondering if I could expect somewhere in the neighborhood of a 30*-45* rise in temperature after only three minutes of total sear time on medium high heat.

Thanks again for you response....

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

I've alwaays been sceptical of dry brining. I really don't want to experiment with salt on $15 steaks. Maybe I'll try a strip one time. Anyone know where that thread was on how to do it here?

UB, just be careful of carryover like IC said. Having the hypodermic style thermometer is a real help.

Sattie, it's not too bad if you think about it. For instance, while the steak was heating in the oven I was preparing the potatoes and mise en place the salad components. You have to baby the meat while it's searing so the more prep the better. When the meat was resting I was finishing off the potatoes and plating.

Do not be scared of dry brining. It is a very popular technique that many restaurants use. I would recommend dry dry brining for much longer than an hour though. I like to go 24 hours or so.

Salt will not ruin your steak Jeekinz. It will just make it better.

Buzz try salting it and wrapping it tight in plastic wrap. that will help things along.

I'll do that. Meanwhile, the following is a complimentary bit I just ripped from the web:

Pan-Seared Thick-Cut Steaks
The Problem: Pan-searing a thick-cut steak (a steak almost as thick as it is wide) presents a unique challenge: How to keep the perimeter from overcooking while the very center of the steak reaches the desired temperature.
The Goal:We wanted our steak to have a good crust and medium-rare center, without a wide band of dry, gray meat between the two.
The Solution: We found it was essential to sear the steaks quickly to keep the meat directly under the crust from turning gray. The key was to start with dry meat. We moved the steaks straight from the fridge into a 275-degree oven, which not only warmed them to 95 degrees but also dried the meat thoroughly. At this temperature, when the steak met the hot skillet, it developed a beautiful brown crust in less than four minutes, while the rest of the meat stayed pink, juicy, and tender.
Our steaks spend a long time in a warm oven, yet taste more tender than traditionally prepared steaks, which can be tough and chewy.
The explanation? Meat contains active enzymes called cathepsins, which break down connective tissue over time, increasing tenderness (a fact that is demonstrated to great effect in dry-aging meat). As the temperature of the meat rises, these enzymes work faster and faster until they reach 122 degrees, where all action stops. While our steaks are slowly heating up, the cathepsins are working overtime, in effect “aging” and tenderizing our steaks within half an hour. When our steaks are cooked by conventional methods, thier final temperature is reached much more rapidly, denying the cathepsins the time they need to properly do their jobs

I've alwaays been sceptical of dry brining. I really don't want to experiment with salt on $15 steaks. Maybe I'll try a strip one time. Anyone know where that thread was on how to do it here?

Try it on flank...London broil method...I personally wouldn't want to use it on better cuts of meat...rib-eys, strips etc.

Jeekinz said:
UB, just be careful of carryover like IC said.

I figure 5* carry over on avg. steaks....10* on roast, and cuts with more mass. Up to 15*+ on large poultry...turkeys etc.

Just curious, why would you not want to try it on better cuts? Do you salt your rib-eyes before eating?

I buy heavy choice beef..I've never seen the need to on better cuts of meat...the leaner cuts maybe so....Of course I salt rib-eyes before eating...and/or before cooking for that matter.

The reason for dry brining is for flavor. It is not like when you brine chicken to make it more moist using a wet brine. Dry brining just gets salt inside the meat instead of just on the surface.

GB said:
Dry brining just gets salt inside the meat instead of just on the surface.

I understand. The problem is my old taste buds can't tell the difference between salt on the outside, or salt on the inside of the meat when I'm chewing it....I don't know where it came from.....All I know it taste good!!......or bad.

Fair enough.

For those that can discern the difference, try the dry brining method with your good cuts. The better the cut, the more difference you will see.

I thought the dry brining was mainly for texture? How salty does it get using kosher salt? I kind of like having the seasoned crust against the unseasoned center of the meat.

That's more of a traditional method only using the broiler. Kinda like grilling without the grill.

I guess I viewed it more opposite than the norm because he started out with his steak way low - away from the heat of the broiler. Then finished using a higher heat right next to the broiler - opposite of what the "norm" is.

I guess I viewed it more opposite than the norm because he started out with his steak way low - away from the heat of the broiler. Then finished using a higher heat right next to the broiler - opposite of what the "norm" is.

The difference is the low temp cooking time. He's only heating away from the broiler for a few minutes per side whereas the reverse sear (RS) method can take 20-25 minutes...roughly.

Back
Top Bottom