Reverse Sear Ribeyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
As I said in another thread, I wanted to experiment with the reverse sear method. So I picked up some thick ribeyes and gave it a shot.

Ribeye steak with mixed new potatoes and a salad

Here's the raw meat ready for a 250F oven until it reaches 100F internal temp. I went slightly over because I was outside picking herbs. lol

img_680293_0_9af6d616f099591d34d672b80a12f6ca.jpg

img_680293_1_be2541b6fe9778e57a7d5211cdb57e1c.jpg

My potatoes with oil, butter, salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary.

img_680293_2_80eaed532606001f9fa2546aec9b5600.jpg

The steaks get seared in a ultra hot pan. I basted with oil/butter and fresh thyme. That's my most favorite spoon. It the size of a serving spoon but real short. Perfect for pan roasting. (Don't touch my spoon! :dry:)

img_680293_3_fa1b0b2128909a084a6628c0198ff028.jpg

The finished dish. This steak was perfectly cooked med/rare more toward the center, and as tender as can be.

img_680293_4_72cb6c51048256e1a9fc55e93d41749b.jpg

I wouldn't cook meat that method regularly, but it's a good option once in a while. It was a little bit of a hassle using the oven and keeping track of the temps. If you have the time, the final result was good though.

Jeekinz..What was your finish temp, and do you think you had a better finished product using the reverse sear... opposed to the tradtional method???

Oops..I forgot to ask...how long to get them to the 112*??

Thanks!!

Normally, you sear first and finish in the oven. I'm curious what you consider the advantage of this sequence.

With the reverse sear method, it seems it would be harder to manage the degree of doneness. If, for example, you leave the steaks in the oven too long, the only way you can still get them to come out right is to cut back on the sear time.

With the traditional method, you sear first and finish in the oven. A little less/or more oven time to get the correct degree of doneness is no loss.

UB, the target temp was 100F in an oven 250F. Took about 20 minutes? (had a couple vodkas) The meat was at room temp first.

Andy, the idea is: Whle the meat is in the oven the connective tissue slightly breaks down without over cooking oter layer of the meat. Sort of like a sous-vide method....kinda. The final sear (formy steak) only took about 3-4 minutes per side with a final internal temp of 150ish for med/rare. The cut I took was more toward the edge, the absolute center and deckle meat was med/rare.

The final product was very juicy and tender.

Edit: I really would have liked to cook the two steaks seperatly to compare conventional method v. reverse sear.

...Andy, the idea is: Whle the meat is in the oven the connective tissue slightly breaks down without over cooking oter layer of the meat. Sort of like a sous-vide method....kinda. The final sear (formy steak) only took about 3-4 minutes per side with a final internal temp of 150ish for med/rare. The cut I took was more toward the edge, the absolute center and deckle meat was med/rare...

I agree. That works with either sequence of steps. It seems you have less flexibility to deal with errors in timing with the reverse method.

Jeekinz...You did a good job at executing the method. The steaks look delicious, and the photography is excellent.

Jeekinz said:
I really would have liked to cook the two steaks seperatly to compare conventional method v. reverse sear.

I may try this soon...two steaks...cut from the same rib-eye..right next to each other. It will be a fun comparison... Based on your quote above, I assume you noticed no discernible difference in the steaks cooked by the reverse sear method compared to the many steaks you have cooked by the traditional/conventional method in the past... While I will do my test cooking with an open mind, I must admit I am somewhat skeptical that this method is indeed a better "mouse trap" as some proponents claim.
Time will tell...I'll gain weight, spend a lot of money, and have a lot of good eats either way.

Thanks for the post!! Good job!!

Nice. Like you said, it's basically similar to cooking something sous vide then searing it. I usually sous vide my beef or lamb at 123 degrees F then sear it for a perfect medium rare. My only criticism is that your steak is more medium, going towards medium well. You want to shoot more for 130-135 for medium rare.

I am curious as to how you learned the basting trick. That's a restaurant technique that most home cooks are unaware of. Next time you do it, besides the fresh thyme, try adding a couple of bruised garlic cloves into the oil/butter basting liquid.

I may try this soon...two steaks...cut from the same rib-eye..right next to each other. It will be a fun comparison... Based on your quote above,

I assume you noticed no discernible difference in the steaks cooked by the reverse sear method compared to the many steaks you have cooked by the traditional/conventional method in the past.

Two steaks cut next to each other would be the key. I've purchased Porterhouses that had the texture of shoe leather and strip steaks you could cut with a fork.

These steaks were very tender and juicey, however I have had conventionally cooked steaks of equal quality.

The "two steak comparison" would be the real answer.

I believe you can use this method on pork as well.

Thanks for the compliments.

Nice. Like you said, it's basically similar to cooking something sous vide then searing it. I usually sous vide my beef or lamb at 123 degrees F then sear it for a perfect medium rare. My only criticism is that your steak is more medium, going towards medium well. You want to shoot more for 130-135 for medium rare.

I am curious as to how you learned the basting trick. That's a restaurant technique that most home cooks are unaware of. Next time you do it, besides the fresh thyme, try adding a couple of bruised garlic cloves into the oil/butter basting liquid.

My steak was medium on the edges but med/rare in the middle and the deckle meat was med/rare too. I'm going to try for the 130-135 next time to see if I can get an even temp throughout the meat. I'm also going to lower the temp in the oven to 200-225, and remove at 100 to try to keep even temps throughout.

I saw that pan roasting method on an episode of Colameco's food show. He does little cooking demos with "actual chefs" not TV stars. This specific episode was with Shane McBride of Craftsteak NYC. It's the only way I cook a steak in a pan now.

Here's the spoon if anyone is interested.

My steak was medium on the edges but med/rare in the middle and the deckle meat was med/rare too. I'm going to try for the 130-135 next time to see if I can get an even temp throughout the meat. I'm also going to lower the temp in the oven to 200-225, and remove at 100 to try to keep even temps throughout.

I saw that pan roasting method on an episode of Colameco's food show. He does little cooking demos with "actual chefs" not TV stars. This specific episode was with Shane McBride of Craftsteak NYC. It's the only way I cook a steak in a pan now.

Here's the spoon if anyone is interested.

Good idea to lower the temp. The big difference between the method that you're using and sous vide cooking is that when cooking sous vide, the protein will never get above the temperature of the water no matter how long it is in there for. With the oven method, you definitely have to factor in carryover cooking.

Nice spoons BTW....

I agree. That works with either sequence of steps. It seems you have less flexibility to deal with errors in timing with the reverse method.

I have no problem. First salt fairly heavily and add rub, cover and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour. It takes me 20-25 minutes to get a thick ribeye to about 95 degrees in a 275 degree oven, then sear on medium high heat for about 1 1/2 minutes per side, then rest covered for 10 minutes. Perfect juicy medium rare steaks every time.

I have no problem. First salt fairly heavily and add rub, cover and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour. It takes me 20-25 minutes to get a thick ribeye to about 95 degrees in a 275 degree oven, then sear on medium high heat for about 1 1/2 minutes per side, then rest covered for 10 minutes. Perfect juicy medium rare steaks every time.

What's the final temperture after searing for a total of 3 minutes??

Ok...So in three minutes about, you went from 95* to what...135-140*??? Or what temperature do you consider a perfect medium rare steak??

Ok...So in three minutes about, you went from 95* to what...135-140*??? Or what temperature do you consider a perfect medium rare steak??

I don't know. Like I said, never took the temperature once the ribeye was pulled from the oven. All I know is the result - perfect every time, juicy and very tasty. The salting draws liquid from the meat, but after an hour or so the meat is drier than the salt so the liquid and flavoring is pulled back in. I never was very good at getting it right before I started reverse searing. Now it's a no brainer.

I might add that it is best to use steak that is both good quality and thick.

Edit: In addition to the salt, I also add either pepper or a commercial rub.

Back
Top Bottom