Rib-eye steak HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rib-eye is taken from a slab of meat just before the tenderloin (I believe the famous Delmonico Steak is the third rib-eye back from the chuck). I prefer mine with the bone. The meat slab has a grain that runs end to end, and the steaks are cut against the grain. If you wanted to further slice your steak against the grain, you would have to lay it on its side and slice the width of the steak, making a thinner steak. Like many others here, I prefer to just slap mine on the Webber, over a solid bed of charcoal, and let it cook until rare for me, medium rare of the DW. Season simply, with salt, or S&P. Serve with something refreshing, like a wet slaw, or a great melon salad. To me, the rib-eye is the best cut of meat on the carcass, period.

If you are tired of the same old, same old, because you have too many rib eyes, too frequently, try dicing the meat, and stir fry it with come fresh veggies, such as bias sliced carrot, onion, bok choy, snow peas, with a toouch of ginger and Kikoman Lite soy sauce. This is very tasty. Of course if you live in that world, you have far more disposable cash than me.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Dry brining is a bit different from wet brining which might be what you heard of previously. Wet bringing is great for chicken and pork, but you would not want to wet brine a steak.

To dry brine a steak what you do is liberally rub both sides with kosher salt and then wrap in plastic wrap tightly. Put it in the fridge for 24 hours. You can get away with less time to more time, but a day is a good amount of time to shoot for. Now most people before they hear of this technique would wince at the thought of pre-salting their meat because it draws out the moisture, but this is exactly what you want to happen. The key is letting it sit enough time.

The salt will draw out the moisture initially, but then it will dissolve the salt. Once that happens you have a piece of meat sitting in a salty solution. through osmosis, the meat will then begin to reabsorb the salty liquid. You will end up seasoning your steak from the inside out. Instead of having a piece of meat that is seasoned on the outside, but naked on the inside you will have a piece of meat that is seasoned consistently throughout the entire piece. The end result is even juicier than if you had not dry brined because the salt holds the liquid inside once it is reabsorbed.

I have bumped this old thread because of the above post from GB. It took me all this time to test his theory last night on my Rib Eye steaks and the results were spectacular.

Those were the best grilled steaks I've ever done!

Hey there, GB! I'm glad to see you too.

Please hang around for awhile. We miss you!

dcSaute, I notice that link tells you to rinse the meat before cooking. I didn't do that with GB's plastic wrap method, but then I'm a salt fiend. I left them wrapped up in the refrigerator for five hours, not over night however.

Roadfix, I can't wait for you to try it and hear your reviews.

I'm so going to try this! :yum: I've heard of it before, and never remember to set aside the time for the salting and resting process. I think it's in my brain now. :)

...rinse the meat...

oh. had to go re-read that! apparently that bit did not sink in! - I salt the plate, put the meat on the plate, salt the top, let stand on the counter for 2-3 hours. there is no rinse in my kitchen....

perhaps I don't use as much salt - I have not seen such puddles of liquid. at most a film of liquid left when I pick up the meat....

I plunk it on a hot wood grill or into a screaming hot CI pan. if there's any surface water/moisture, it doesn't last long.

ps - works with beef and pork and chicken and lamb chops - those chunks registered in the "to be seared off" & cooked book of doom....that is.

methinks the whole trick is the extended time for the salting to do its magic.

I can't find a date on this - but it's a pretty good explanation and got me into salting early with delicious results.

Steak Recipe: How to turn cheap "choice" steaks into "prime" steak
Someone posted that link here before. I tried it with 3/4" steaks and I rinsed and patted dry after 3/4 of an hour. Those were the saltiest steaks I have ever tasted. I didn't notice any improvement in tenderness. Maybe you need thicker steaks for this to work right. Or maybe less salt.

F
Someone posted that link here before. I tried it with 3/4" steaks and I rinsed and patted dry after 3/4 of an hour. Those were the saltiest steaks I have ever tasted. I didn't notice any improvement in tenderness. Maybe you need thicker steaks for this to work right. Or maybe less salt.

I've posted it. I've been doing this for years now and it's always great, imo. I use inch-thick steaks at least and I don't rinse. I just pat dry so they will sear well.

There are a lot of directions and tips in the article and the recipe - if there's a lot of marbling, use less salt, etc. It's worth reading through if you haven't done that before. And if you typically restrict your salt, I imagine you might not like this as well.

the timing could also be the culprit. I use at absolute minimum two hours; I prefer three hours.

too much salt however is also something to look at - I do a "heavy sprinkle" - it's not salt encased/whatever. no too-salty results noted....

the timing could also be the culprit. I use at absolute minimum two hours; I prefer three hours.

too much salt however is also something to look at - I do a "heavy sprinkle" - it's not salt encased/whatever. no too-salty results noted....
I was following the instructions in the article: 1 hour per inch thickness of steak.

Different people have differing tolerances to salt. Too salty for one may not taste salty enough for another. I like that idea of experimenting, starting with a light sprinkle and seeing where that gets me, then work from there. That way I don't run too much risk of over salting it, and I have a high tolerance for salt anyway. :chef:

I was following the instructions in the article: 1 hour per inch thickness of steak.

Taxi, just going by the picture of the salting in that article, I used about half that amount of Kosher salt. IMO from this salt lover, that's twice the amount of salt needed or wanted to get the best results. While I agree people have different tastes, I think the picture of the salted meat is way over the top. I hope you give it another try, as per GB's instructions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom