"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Master Chef

Restaraunts mostly use frozen stakes, so do I. It is a s ggod as fresh, just have to cook right.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #22
Master Chef

Rib-eye is taken from a slab of meat just before the tenderloin (I believe the famous Delmonico Steak is the third rib-eye back from the chuck). I prefer mine with the bone. The meat slab has a grain that runs end to end, and the steaks are cut against the grain. If you wanted to further slice your steak against the grain, you would have to lay it on its side and slice the width of the steak, making a thinner steak. Like many others here, I prefer to just slap mine on the Webber, over a solid bed of charcoal, and let it cook until rare for me, medium rare of the DW. Season simply, with salt, or S&P. Serve with something refreshing, like a wet slaw, or a great melon salad. To me, the rib-eye is the best cut of meat on the carcass, period.

If you are tired of the same old, same old, because you have too many rib eyes, too frequently, try dicing the meat, and stir fry it with come fresh veggies, such as bias sliced carrot, onion, bok choy, snow peas, with a toouch of ginger and Kikoman Lite soy sauce. This is very tasty. Of course if you live in that world, you have far more disposable cash than me.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Dry brining is a bit different from wet brining which might be what you heard of previously. Wet bringing is great for chicken and pork, but you would not want to wet brine a steak.

To dry brine a steak what you do is liberally rub both sides with kosher salt and then wrap in plastic wrap tightly. Put it in the fridge for 24 hours. You can get away with less time to more time, but a day is a good amount of time to shoot for. Now most people before they hear of this technique would wince at the thought of pre-salting their meat because it draws out the moisture, but this is exactly what you want to happen. The key is letting it sit enough time.

The salt will draw out the moisture initially, but then it will dissolve the salt. Once that happens you have a piece of meat sitting in a salty solution. through osmosis, the meat will then begin to reabsorb the salty liquid. You will end up seasoning your steak from the inside out. Instead of having a piece of meat that is seasoned on the outside, but naked on the inside you will have a piece of meat that is seasoned consistently throughout the entire piece. The end result is even juicier than if you had not dry brined because the salt holds the liquid inside once it is reabsorbed.
I have bumped this old thread because of the above post from GB. It took me all this time to test his theory last night on my Rib Eye steaks and the results were spectacular.

Those were the best grilled steaks I've ever done!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Glad it worked out for you Kayelle! Happy 4th to you.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Hey, GB. Good to see you again! Hope all is well.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #26
Master Chef

Whoa! How great to see you again GB!! It's been a very long time!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Hi to you both, and everyone else. Good to see you as well!
Old 07-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hey there, GB! I'm glad to see you too.

Please hang around for awhile. We miss you!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #29
Master Chef

I'm going to try this too!
Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I can't find a date on this - but it's a pretty good explanation and got me into salting early with delicious results.

Steak Recipe: How to turn cheap "choice" steaks into "prime" steak

Tags
None