"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

dcSaute, I notice that link tells you to rinse the meat before cooking. I didn't do that with GB's plastic wrap method, but then I'm a salt fiend. I left them wrapped up in the refrigerator for five hours, not over night however.

Roadfix, I can't wait for you to try it and hear your reviews.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #32
Master Chef

I'm so going to try this! I've heard of it before, and never remember to set aside the time for the salting and resting process. I think it's in my brain now.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #33
Sous Chef

...rinse the meat...

oh. had to go re-read that! apparently that bit did not sink in! - I salt the plate, put the meat on the plate, salt the top, let stand on the counter for 2-3 hours. there is no rinse in my kitchen....

perhaps I don't use as much salt - I have not seen such puddles of liquid. at most a film of liquid left when I pick up the meat....

I plunk it on a hot wood grill or into a screaming hot CI pan. if there's any surface water/moisture, it doesn't last long.

ps - works with beef and pork and chicken and lamb chops - those chunks registered in the "to be seared off" & cooked book of doom....that is.

methinks the whole trick is the extended time for the salting to do its magic.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
I can't find a date on this - but it's a pretty good explanation and got me into salting early with delicious results.

Steak Recipe: How to turn cheap "choice" steaks into "prime" steak
Someone posted that link here before. I tried it with 3/4" steaks and I rinsed and patted dry after 3/4 of an hour. Those were the saltiest steaks I have ever tasted. I didn't notice any improvement in tenderness. Maybe you need thicker steaks for this to work right. Or maybe less salt.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

F
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Someone posted that link here before. I tried it with 3/4" steaks and I rinsed and patted dry after 3/4 of an hour. Those were the saltiest steaks I have ever tasted. I didn't notice any improvement in tenderness. Maybe you need thicker steaks for this to work right. Or maybe less salt.
I've posted it. I've been doing this for years now and it's always great, imo. I use inch-thick steaks at least and I don't rinse. I just pat dry so they will sear well.

There are a lot of directions and tips in the article and the recipe - if there's a lot of marbling, use less salt, etc. It's worth reading through if you haven't done that before. And if you typically restrict your salt, I imagine you might not like this as well.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

We don't really restrict salt and I did read through the entire article.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
the timing could also be the culprit. I use at absolute minimum two hours; I prefer three hours.

too much salt however is also something to look at - I do a "heavy sprinkle" - it's not salt encased/whatever. no too-salty results noted....
Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
the timing could also be the culprit. I use at absolute minimum two hours; I prefer three hours.

too much salt however is also something to look at - I do a "heavy sprinkle" - it's not salt encased/whatever. no too-salty results noted....
I was following the instructions in the article: 1 hour per inch thickness of steak.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #39
Head Chef

Different people have differing tolerances to salt. Too salty for one may not taste salty enough for another. I like that idea of experimenting, starting with a light sprinkle and seeing where that gets me, then work from there. That way I don't run too much risk of over salting it, and I have a high tolerance for salt anyway.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
I was following the instructions in the article: 1 hour per inch thickness of steak.
Taxi, just going by the picture of the salting in that article, I used about half that amount of Kosher salt. IMO from this salt lover, that's twice the amount of salt needed or wanted to get the best results. While I agree people have different tastes, I think the picture of the salted meat is way over the top. I hope you give it another try, as per GB's instructions.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None