"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Roast Beef - dinner is perfect or sandwiches are perfect

For years, I've been trying to perfect roasting beef. My problem is that if I take the roast out when it's about 136F, it's a little on the rare side for our liking at dinner, but when I slice up the rest of it for sandwiches the next day, somehow it's perfectly cooked - pink, but not purpley-red. If I cook it so that it's the nice medium-rare pink for dinner, it's great then, but it's mostly brown with just the vaguest hint of pink on the next day when I slice it for sandwiches.

I generally cook a 4 lb roast (whatever's on sale) at 250F. Once it reaches temperature, I take it out and let it rest for about 20 min.

Is it still cooking after I take my initial slices for dinner?

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

The roast continues to cook as it seats. But you do take out early enough. Medium rare is about 140 deg, maybe if you take out at 130, maybe that would work better. I am not big beef lover. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

500 F for 5 minutes, reduce to 200 F for 1 hour per pound.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Take the roast out of the oven as you always do then cover it loosely with foil and go have a beer for 20 minutes. Then carve and eat.

There is heat in the roast that hasn't reached the inner parts of the roast when you take it out of the oven. The internal temperature will go up during the rest period and it will 'finish' cooking.

Resting the meat for 20 minutes also allows the meat to re-absorb juices so you'll have a juicier roast.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

I think enchant understands carry over cooking.

That's his/her problem it seems. The roast continues to cook past the 20 minute rest.

When enchant pulls the meat when it's a bit rare for dinner, it's great for sammies. When pulled at right temp for dinner it's overdone and brown for sammies.

My suggestion would be to pull it as you do for dinner. Slice off what you will need. Then very quickly cool down the rest of the roast to prevent carry over.

Or ... Divide the roast pre-cooking with part for dinner and part for sammies
Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
500 F for 5 minutes, reduce to 200 F for 1 hour per pound.
I am still waiting for an opportunity to make a standing rib or boneless rib roast using this roasting method.
When you are the only one that likes medium to rare beef, its hard to find the right opportunity. A restaurant is usually my only option.

Tags
beef, dinner, recipe, roast, sandwich

Roast Beef - dinner is perfect or sandwiches are perfect For years, I've been trying to perfect roasting beef. My problem is that if I take the roast out when it's about 136F, it's a little on the rare side for our liking at dinner, but when I slice up the rest of it for sandwiches the next day, somehow it's perfectly cooked - pink, but not purpley-red. If I cook it so that it's the nice medium-rare pink for dinner, it's great then, but it's mostly brown with just the vaguest hint of pink on the next day when I slice it for sandwiches. I generally cook a 4 lb roast (whatever's on sale) at 250F. Once it reaches temperature, I take it out and let it rest for about 20 min. Is it still cooking after I take my initial slices for dinner? Thanks for any help. 3 stars 1 reviews