"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Further info on Arby's. Arby's does NOT use a "Roast Beef". Instead they use a chopped and formed product that is the beefy equivalent of Spam.
It loooks similar to the stuff Greek restaraunts use to make Gyros, but it isn't nearly as good.

According to my source (a former Arby's manager) this meat-sicle is flavored with onion powder, garlic powder and loots of salt. So, while you will not get the exact results at home, you will actually get a superior product.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:16 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Bubba, thanks for that enlightening information. I have to admit that it's been a decade since I've had Arby's roast beef. For some reason I thought it was similar to Roy Rogers, but now I know that's not the case.

Salsaguy, unless you want Roy Roger's roast beef, my recipe is not what you're looking for. How about trying a meatloaf with onion powder, garlic powder and salt?

Bubba, does your source know if any fillers have been added? I've always thought Gyro meat had some sort of cereal extender in it.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Bubba you got connections!! :D
I just KNEW that stuff wasnt 100% beef. I think they should change their name to Spammy's. I mean Spam is just like hot dog meat RIGHT? So they are serving giant hot dog sandwiches with flavored processed meat right? :P
Old 03-30-2004, 07:33 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Arby's no longer roasts 'a joint' [as Kyles calls it and a better term as well]. The product seems to be like that boiled ham stuff you see in plastic at some super markets. Meaning that its bits of beef pressed to make a loaf.

As fast food goes My vote is 1st eat at home , if not, ok then Subway.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

subway

forget subway...unless you want a salal sandwich Yuck.....if you can get to a cousins sub shop or any # of ma and pa shops you will do better than subway........

just my opinion
Old 09-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Due to their advancing age, I had to move my parents to where I live. The most difficult adjustment for them has been that there is no Arby's here. I'm going to see how close I can come to duplicating as soon as the weather gets too cold to go fishing. Regarding price, they would typically use a "2 sandwiches for $3 coupon," which is inexpensive in my book.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Arby's uses inside round that has been brined in a solution of water, sodium chloride, and salt-peter. The salt-peter is a salt known to cause the meat to keep its pink color, and retard teh growth of the organizm that causes botulism. It's also the salt used in curing many sausages, and ham.

Also, the meat is slow-roasted to help tenderize the meat, and sliced very thin against the grain.

This is why the Arby's meat has a deli quality. It's made virtually the same way.

For me, slow-cooking a good roast over a divided bed of charcoal, with some good hardwood thrown in, and regular salt and coarse grind pepper produce a far superior flavor. I have an inexpesive rotary meat slicer that cuts pretty thin. But I can do as well, though more slowly with my chef's knife.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:51 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

"just KNEW that stuff wasnt 100% beef. I think they should change their name to Spammy's. I mean Spam is just like hot dog meat RIGHT? So they are serving giant hot dog sandwiches with flavored processed meat right?"

Spam is also pork shoulder and hams chipped, pressed, and sealed into the can. It is then cooked inside the can so it is not like hot dogs. It has a long shelf life because of this and was used in WWII because of the longevity of the meat. It also give it that "unique" texture that leads many to believe that it is something else.

Though hot dogs can be anything from byproducts to actuall good cuts of meat. So can balogna. It all depends on who makes it, and obviously the better peices of meat cost more also.

And, lastly, I can't see how someone could hate Arbys and really like Subway - neither really has the lock on high quality meats (though I eat quite a bit of both and like them). Nixons uses better meat and steams theirs, but I do not know how national that chain is. Best is a real deli that gets good, fresh, meats.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #19
Master Chef

I mistakenly said that Arby's used an inside round. Sorry about that folks. (hang my head in shame for not doing my homework before responding).

I do know that my family has me purchase inside rounds every so often so that they can be barbecued with some birch and maple smoke unti they about 135 degrees. Then we slice up the meat paper thin and put it in freezer bags for our own sandwich meat. We like it better than deli meat. The flavor is far superior, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:33 PM   #20
Senior Cook

If you want to make a sandwich taste like Arby's then you have to get
some of their Horsey Sauce. That is the best part of their sandwiches.

Tags
None