Roast Beef, what cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I want to make a nice roast next weekend. I will be going out of town to get an all natural beef roast (no antibiotics, steriods, etc) on Friday.

This roast will just be for the two of us and I will add potatoes, carrots and onions.

When it comes to cuts of beef, I'm pretty green. Hubby and I both require a very tender cut of beef due to various health reasons.

Would you suggest a tenderloin? Also, what weight?

Any cooking suggestions? I use my crockpot most of the time but it cooks hot and I wouldn't mind using the oven for a roast if it comes out better.
Thanks!

Angie:

A tenderloin would be terrific. But definitely in the oven, not the Crockpot. You would need a small roast, maybe 3-4 pounds. I recommend cooking it to rare or medium rare. That's when tenderloin is at it's best.

Thanks Andy! I've never cooked a roast in the oven...any suggestions or hints before I dig up a recipe?

Tenderloin is a very lean meat so I would cook it at a high temperature.

Preheat the oven to 400F. In an oven-proof skillet, sear the meat over high heat on all sides then transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook to rare or medium-rare and remove to a plate and cover to rest for 10-15 minutes.

While the meat is resting, place the pan on a burner and add some minced shallots and cook until the shallots are soft and fragrant. Add some red wine and scrape the browned bits of the bottom of the pan and stir to dissolve. Reduce the liquid to half, remove from the heat and stir in a couple of pats of butter.

Oh, one more thing...I ALWAYS salt my beef when I cook it but someone told me to NOT salt a roast as it will make it tough. Fact? Fiction?

A nice piece of roastbeef would be okay, or the "Tafelspitz" as we say in Germany somewhere between filet and shoulder... Can't explain...
just look at it if you buy it, tehre should be a bit of white in it, otherwise it will be too dry soon...

Put it in a hot pan first and roast from all sides until brown...
then into the oven... don't know about time, we have thermometer to control the inner temperature, which should be around 70°C/160°F....

Andy M. said:
Tenderloin is a very lean meat so I would cook it at a high temperature.

Preheat the oven to 400F. In an oven-proof skillet, sear the meat over high heat on all sides then transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook to rare or medium-rare and remove to a plate and cover to rest for 10-15 minutes.

I would never do it at this high temperature....325°C is high enough, okay, it takes a bit longer, but it is much better from the flavour and everything else....
I can't explain in englisch.... :wacko:
hard enough in German.... never heard of the advantages of low-temperaure-cooking?

Angie said:
Oh, one more thing...I ALWAYS salt my beef when I cook it but someone told me to NOT salt a roast as it will make it tough. Fact? Fiction?

FICTION!!!

Salt and pepper the meat before cooking.

I hate to disagree with cooks I respect enormously, but I am not a great fan of tenderloin of beef.

Much prefer a standing rib roast.

It is tender and has, at least to us, more flavor than the tenderloin.

And then you get the bones which we always use to make French onion soup.

But the tenderloin is very tender, easy to cut, and makes a nice presentation.

So go for it.

But sometime, when you get a bit more experience, try a standing rib roast.

For two, a three rib roast should be more than enough, with plenty of leftover meat (love to make roast beef sandwiches with the leftovers).

A tenderloin will turn out great, however.

Am sure you will enjoy it, God bless.

cara said:
I would never do it at this high temperature....325°C is high enough, okay, it takes a bit longer, but it is much better from the flavour and everything else....
I can't explain in englisch.... :wacko:
hard enough in German.... never heard of the advantages of low-temperaure-cooking?

I have heard of the advantages of low temperature cooking. I don't think it's not the best solution for everything. Because the tenderloin is very lean, prolonged exposure to heat will cause the meat to dry out more.

That's what I love about this board. Such quick responses and a lot to choose from! You guys are great. I just wish I had more time to spend here!

auntdot said:
I hate to disagree with cooks I respect enormously, but I am not a great fan of tenderloin of beef.

Much prefer a standing rib roast.

It is tender and has, at least to us, more flavor than the tenderloin.

And then you get the bones which we always use to make French onion soup.

But the tenderloin is very tender, easy to cut, and makes a nice presentation.

So go for it.

But sometime, when you get a bit more experience, try a standing rib roast.

For two, a three rib roast should be more than enough, with plenty of leftover meat (love to make roast beef sandwiches with the leftovers).

A tenderloin will turn out great, however.

Am sure you will enjoy it, God bless.

Aut Dot, we don't disagree. I was not suggesting a tenderloin. Angie was asking about a tenderloin so I was answering her question.

I enjoy both a standing rib roast and a tenderloin (just not at the same time:LOL: ). They'r both excellent cuts of meat for oven roasts. It's the mood I'm in that decides which one I want.

Andy, you are wrong...
just with the lean pieces it works very well.... it stays really juicy(?) and delicate...
it doesn't work with fat pieces because the temperature is not high enough to get the fat out...
and therefor you roast it in the pan at high temperaures before to close the fibers so all the juice will stay inside..

we did it a few times, not with real lowtemperature which is about 200°F (it is said you need 1h time for two pounds of meat), but around 280-300°F...

edit: I forgot: essential is a meat thermometer to control temperature inside the piece.... it should not be more than I wrote before... 70°C.. can't remember the °F.. :mrgreen:

and please excuse if I use funny vocabulary, I'm not sure about the right translation with some things...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom