Roasting a cheap cut of beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
So, I saw a pot roast for sale in a supermarket flyer - I think it was a chuck roast. I asked my brother (with whom I share a townhouse) to pick it up for dinner this week.

He came home with a blade roast - not quite as cheap as the chuck, but the cheapest cut that this particular store had on sale (bro had gone to the wrong store).

I had to Google "blade roast", since I'd never heard of it.

Google turned up a Cook's Illustrated article with blade roast as an option. How to Roast a Cheap Cut of Beef

This is the html version. You can see the pdf version if you click on the link at the top of the html version. The pdf is easier to read.

My roast was already tied, so I was thrilled.

I "aged" it in the fridge for four days, and otherwise followed the directions exactly.

I was skeptical. But the end result was absolutely spectacular! Yes, it had a line of gristle in the middle, but the meat was tender, juicy, and had a wonderful crust!

Served with Idahoans and steamed carrots, buttered with chives.

I'm a believer!!

Here's an executive summary: Age the beef in the fridge for four days. Brown the meat on all sides. Roast, uncovered, in a 250 oven, until the meat temp reaches 110. Turn the oven up to 500 and continue cooking the meat to an internal of 130 degrees. Let rest, and meanwhile, make gravy from the drippings.

Lee

bladeroastco2.jpg

bladeroastslicedjj4.jpg

yeh, the slow oven method is kinda like low and slow on the bbq with a brisket ... great results.

Hey, THANKS, everyone! Yeah, Robo, who'da thunk, huh? :)

John, good article. They suggested a shoulder roast, and I think that's where the blade roast is from.

Pacanis, it was about 45 minutes at a 225 oven to reach 110 internal (I had to keep re-checking my probe thermometer with my thermopen, since the former seems to be on it's way out and I don't trust it), then another 15 minutes at a 500 oven to reach 130 internal. So an hour total in the oven and 15 minutes to rest.

Lee

Wow. That's not long at all. Not what I expected.
How can something that looks so good take so little time :chef: Super!

Hey, THANKS, everyone! Yeah, Robo, who'da thunk, huh? :)

John, good article. They suggested a shoulder roast, and I think that's where the blade roast is from.

Pacanis, it was about 45 minutes at a 225 oven to reach 110 internal (I had to keep re-checking my probe thermometer with my thermopen, since the former seems to be on it's way out and I don't trust it), then another 15 minutes at a 500 oven to reach 130 internal. So an hour total in the oven and 15 minutes to rest.

Lee

Lee, how big was the uncooked roast? I looks like it was boneless.

Lee, how big was the uncooked roast? I looks like it was boneless.

oooo I KNEW someone was going to ask that! I tossed the wrapper without even looking, Andy. But it was a pretty good-sized chunk - maybe 5 pounds.

I know the cooking time doesn't sound like enough, but maybe the fact that my brother spent a long time browning the roast (he said 4 minutes a side) had something to do with the quick roasting time (??)

Lee

Hey Lee, are you sure that's a blade roast? Looks more like a pork loin to me. :LOL: j/k

Anyway, about the gristle, was it annoying having to deal with it on your plate? Could you cut it out before roasting?

Hey Lee, are you sure that's a blade roast? Looks more like a pork loin to me. :LOL: j/k

Anyway, about the gristle, was it annoying having to deal with it on your plate? Could you cut it out before roasting?

Oh man, that would have been one RARE pork loin, then!

Even the gristle was tender, Jeeks! I just ignored it and had no trouble slicing through or chewing it at all.

I didn't know it was in there before roasting, since the roast was all nicely netted when I bought it.

Lee

wow, that looks good. :chef:

i could drink the blood right from the channel on the cutting board. (we need a vampire smiley)

Back
Top Bottom