Roasting Beef Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManedWolf

Assistant Cook
Hey,
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a large amount of fat in the bottom of the roasting pan while roasting beef bones for stock. If so should that fat be drained off or allowed to go into the stock. Lastly should I just continue to roast the bones till the fat is gone?

Wolf

The layer of fat is from the marrow. For a stock, I would let it cool, and then remove the chiiled fat. Save it though, you can recycle it.

Wolf, best if you roast the bones without burning or charring them. Otherwise you might end up with off-tasting stock. Good luck!

I`m with TATTRAT 100% here also, keep that fat and use it for Roast potatoes and such :)

I wouldn`t add it to the stock though, you`ll end up having to remove it anyway and it won`t impart anything of value either.

so.... When`s my Invite to dinner?

ManedWolf said:
Hey,
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a large amount of fat in the bottom of the roasting pan while roasting beef bones for stock. If so should that fat be drained off or allowed to go into the stock. Lastly should I just continue to roast the bones till the fat is gone?

Wolf
I'm not answering because I claim to be the expert but because I didn't understand the other anwers and maybe you or the others will explain my misunderstanding.
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a large amount of fat in the bottom of the roasting pan while roasting beef bones for stock. If so should that fat be drained off or allowed to go into the stock.
Yeah, a fair bit. And I remove it after chilling.
Lastly should I just continue to roast the bones till the fat is gone?
No!

skilletlicker said:
I'm not answering because I claim to be the expert but because I didn't understand the other anwers and maybe you or the others will explain my misunderstanding.

I can`t explain what you misunderstood (that would qualify me as a Mind Reader). however since we Both (Tattrat and I) explained what we did after this occurs, it would be evident that we have Both done this in the past ;)

Do not add the fat to the stock. I don't know what your bones looked like, but the marrow usually just solidifies inside the bone. Eat and enjoy!!

YT2095 said:
I can`t explain what you misunderstood (that would qualify me as a Mind Reader). however since we Both (Tattrat and I) explained what we did after this occurs, it would be evident that we have Both done this in the past ;)
Thanks for putting in my place YT. Maybe betwixt you, me and the others ManedWolf got his answer.

As always,
Pleasure talking to you.

I think the fat can be used later as an ingredient for Yorkshire Pudding.

I usually just dump everything into the stock pot, fat and all, the whole kit & kaboodle. I think that the fat and veggies help flavor the stock.

After the stock is drained and cooled, I then remove the fat. Yes, if you can afford the extra room in the fridge, pour the cooled stock into a big bowl, let it chill, preferably overnight. The fat will then solidify and colagulate, making it much easier to get off.

If you don't have room in the fridge, the arctic cold snap we're presently having will get it cool even faster. Just sit the stock pot with the completed stock in it out on the porch.

Last edited:
TATTRAT said:
The layer of fat is from the marrow. For a stock, I would let it cool, and then remove the chiiled fat. Save it though, you can recycle it.
Not so sure about that. I thought most of the of the fat was from the fat.

Does anyone know what the nutritional components of bone marrow actually is, or where that information can be obtained online. I have looked, both for marrow and collagen, without success.

skilletlicker said:
Not so sure about that. I thought most of the of the fat was from the fat.

Does anyone know what the nutritional components of bone marrow actually is, or where that information can be obtained online. I have looked, both for marrow and collagen, without success.

I agree that the fat is the fat--and depends on what is on the bones. If they are rib bones, there will be a lot that cooks off. I have seen soup bones with zero meat or fat on them--but marrow inside.
Marrow just cooks?"congeals" inside and can be scooped out--spread on a baguette slice, if nothing else. Even in dishes with liquid around the marrow (osso bucco), it stays inside for the most part--not out.
Unfortunately, you may not WANT to be apprised of the nutrition of marrow--total fat, but SO SO good. Collagen I don't know--but it "melts" (what would be the culinary/chemistry word) at the proper temp, as you know.

I would just add a suggestion to pour off accumulated fat when roasting bones for a stock, but to be sure to use the same pan, so you have all that wonderful flavor in your stock.

Collagen, when cooked in the presence of water, breaks down into gelatin. Look for the nutrional values of gelatin to get your results.

Yeah, the marrow will shrink somewhat, just as if there were a considerable amount of meat on the bones.

I've watched Julia Child in one of her videos The Way to Cook (Soups, Salads and Bread). She dumped the whole contents of the pan into a stock pot, filled the pot with some cold water just above the bones, then she deglazed the pan with some red wine and a little water and added it to the stock.

She skimmed the fat off after the stock was done.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Yeah, the marrow will shrink somewhat, just as if there were a considerable amount of meat on the bones.

I've watched Julia Child in one of her videos The Way to Cook (Soups, Salads and Bread). She dumped the whole contents of the pan into a stock pot, filled the pot with some cold water just above the bones, then she deglazed the pan with some red wine and a little water and added it to the stock.

She skimmed the fat off after the stock was done.

That`s exactly what I`m doing right now also, only I`m using Lamb and used beer instead of wine.
Happily, Lamb, like beef has fat that`s quite solid at room temp, and the fun part is to try and get the entire Fat layer off in one go (I love a challenge) :LOL:

You really need to get the lamb fat out--and the lamb stock may be very "strong". You may want to dilute it with another kind of stock, depending on who is eating the dish you use it in. I have never made lamb stock because I don't think of many uses for it. And I LOVE lamb.

well it`s all done now anyway and used in my Scottish version of Lamb stew.
the fat came away all in one as well :)
although I did have to cut it into 4 after to fit in the bowl for propper rendering later.
and yes it is quite strong, but we like it that way.

you can make a Scotch Broth with it, or use it in a Welsh Cawl, or even Irish stew, even in Lamb curries.
I don`t make it often, but I may as well exploit the fact that theres still a LITTLE bit of Winter left over :)

Back
Top Bottom