Roll-ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hi All,

I have some time to cook this weekend and want to make beef. I've never cooked a big hunk of beef before.

I was thinking the menu could be beef roll up, spicy mashed potatoes and something else (maybe some kind of fruit side).

So, does anyone have suggestions for doing this? Any tips? Especially on meat selection, pounding, rolling, cooking.

I am thinking a seafood roll up would be good. Or any other suggestions and recipes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
you're gonna roll seafood in beef scallopini? that could be interesting.

how about making a beef negimaki?

pound out round steaks until paper thin and roughly oblong/rectangular.

s&p, place scallion greens on top and roll up. secure with a toothpick.

stir fry until cooked through but not too long to make it tough. drizzle with teryaki sauce.

Is that not possible? I thought it might be good...

I'm not really in the mood to do Japanese but thanks for the idea. Sounds delicious!

How about a mushroom filling and some sort of seafood side. Like a surf and turf? I maje grilled shrimp with pesto that goes great with steak. Mix shrimp and jarred pesto, skewer and cook over a hot grill.

Do You mean a large rolled beef or small individual beef rolls?

I make a Rouladen much like this one from All Recipies

Rouladen - Allrecipes

I pound round steak, then fill like above plus chopped mushrooms, then flour, brown then cook slowly in broth. It makes it's own gravy.

Works well with Spetzle, German noodles, and my favorite side is Red Cabbage,

But apple sauce would work for a fruit side.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I hadn't thought about doing small ones - I think I'll stick with a big one though.

I haven't cooked anything like this ever. What's the best type of beef to buy? You mentioned round steak. Is that fairly tender?

What about a mushroom, spinach, goat cheese, onion, garlic filling? - I'm not stuck on this yet, just throwing out an idea.

How thick can I spread the filling?

Do I need to pin it together somehow (toothpicks or string or something)?

I have a dutch oven. Should I do stovetop or in the oven?

I was thinking seafood, but I have a crabcake recipe to try so I'll do that instead on another night. I'll definitely do some shrimp.

Wow, the Braciole sounds divine. How do I pronounce Braciole?

you could always look to the flank steak. I love to fill them with gorgonzolla and peppers, and grill them like pinwheels.

Me, too, Mama!!! Buckytom - to the woodshed with you! (I'm still trying to get that creepy guy's voice out of my head......)

I will third that... it is kinda like telling a child not to think about a pink elephant or telling someone not to look down.. ya just know they did it immediately after ya told em not to!!:glare:

Creepy voice indeed!:ermm:

On topic: If you are going to do a roll up with beef, do you have the twine to tie it up with? I can't think of any recipes off the top of my head with beef, only pork loin comes to mind...

Back
Top Bottom