"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Salt Tenderized Flank steak!

This was something I did awhile back, and it caught on at C2C, so I thought I'd share it with you wonderful people here. Its a wonderful way to treat flank steak or other striated or tough cuts of meat.

Salt Tenderized flank steak with tomato and garlic : Chef 2 Chef Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Fincher, please explain how the salt tenderizes the flank steak. I did not know salt had a tenderizing capability.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I just googled it and this came up. This girl did the same thing I did, she calls it turning cheap cuts into prime which is a fallacy. but I guess her point comes across

Its a long lengthy explanation, which is why I was hoping for a link.. scroll down and the process is explained.

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...-prime-steaks/
Old 12-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

This technique is known as dry brining.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Senior Cook

whats cool is that it draws aromatics down into the meat. If you read the link to the first post I made you'll notice how I describe how the basil, garlic and tomato flavors were present all throughout the meat.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think I passed chemistry.... Or heck maybe I didn't even take it!

I seriously doubt this process would tenderize meat to any noticeable difference. I did find it intersting that the picture was of a "Choice" porterhouse...Hardly "Cheap Choice" meat. ...Then a recipe suggesting a rib-eye, Porterhouse, T-bone or NY Strip...not exactly tough or cheap cuts of beef. Oh well, what's a box of salt, and a couple of flank steaks...one using the process, the other not. To UBTK (Uncle Bob's Test Kitchen) I go!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I am not convinced that it tenderizes either, but I do know it is a great way to get flavor into the meat without introducing extra liquid.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I don't think I passed chemistry.... Or heck maybe I didn't even take it!

I seriously doubt this process would tenderize meat to any noticeable difference.

oh I assure you it does. I bought 10 kilos of flank steak at work and tried this technique versus regular grilling. and I assure you there is a very noticable differance. my first experiment was in my home kitchen, as you can see from the post. or maybe you just read the link, and missed the post where I posted pics and described the experiment, which was followed by another chef posting pics and explaining it as well

I also tried it with large duck breasts (the ones from foie gras ducks) they are usually very tough, but this process tenderizes them
Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Well I have not personally tried it myself so I am open to the possibility that it might work, but the link to that chef you posted did not impress me. I mean just the fact that she titled it what she did does not lend a lot of credibility to the rest of what she has to say. Like I said though, I am open to trying it and reserving judgment until then to see if I feel if it tenderizes or not.

When I cook flank I always cook it rare to med rare and always slice it thin and against the grain. This guarantees the meat to be tender as the muscle fibers are so short.

Tags
None