Salt Tenderized Flank steak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fincher, please explain how the salt tenderizes the flank steak. I did not know salt had a tenderizing capability.

whats cool is that it draws aromatics down into the meat. If you read the link to the first post I made you'll notice how I describe how the basil, garlic and tomato flavors were present all throughout the meat.

I don't think I passed chemistry....:ermm: Or heck maybe I didn't even take it!:LOL:

I seriously doubt this process would tenderize meat to any noticeable difference. I did find it intersting that the picture was of a "Choice" porterhouse...Hardly "Cheap Choice" meat. ...Then a recipe suggesting a rib-eye, Porterhouse, T-bone or NY Strip...not exactly tough or cheap cuts of beef. Oh well, what's a box of salt, and a couple of flank steaks...one using the process, the other not. To UBTK (Uncle Bob's Test Kitchen) I go!!;)

I am not convinced that it tenderizes either, but I do know it is a great way to get flavor into the meat without introducing extra liquid.

I don't think I passed chemistry....:ermm: Or heck maybe I didn't even take it!:LOL:

I seriously doubt this process would tenderize meat to any noticeable difference.

oh I assure you it does. I bought 10 kilos of flank steak at work and tried this technique versus regular grilling. and I assure you there is a very noticable differance. my first experiment was in my home kitchen, as you can see from the post. or maybe you just read the link, and missed the post where I posted pics and described the experiment, which was followed by another chef posting pics and explaining it as well:chef:

I also tried it with large duck breasts (the ones from foie gras ducks) they are usually very tough, but this process tenderizes them

Last edited:
Well I have not personally tried it myself so I am open to the possibility that it might work, but the link to that chef you posted did not impress me. I mean just the fact that she titled it what she did does not lend a lot of credibility to the rest of what she has to say. Like I said though, I am open to trying it and reserving judgment until then to see if I feel if it tenderizes or not.

When I cook flank I always cook it rare to med rare and always slice it thin and against the grain. This guarantees the meat to be tender as the muscle fibers are so short.

Fincher I am not questioning your judgment. Like GB said, I am open to the possibility! I shall try it soon with an open mind. In the mean time, I am of the "old school"...I only believe 1/2 of what I see, even less of what I hear, and nothing I read on the internet!!:LOL:

Enjoy!!

The link posted suggests Harold McGee's, "On Food and Cooking" and Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food" support this and explpain it. I will check it out when I can.

no offense taken Bob! :cool:

I hear you on reading things on the internet! I realized later that you were probably refering to the second link I posted not the first one where I was the one doing the experiment! :) why she was using a tender cut of meat was rather strange, but the info at the bottom was pretty good.

I have both those books Andy, and both are great. On food and cooking is a bit dry for some, but Alton Browns book is loads of fun!

I am still a firm believer that flank, and skirt, if well marinated, grilled to rare(MR at the MOST) and sliced thin against the grain, is melt in the mouth goodness. Flank can be a tender and great tasting cut, provided it is prepared well.

I might have to try this method after the Holidays when I get back. I wonder if I use my smoked salt if it will add some smokiness, I normally use it to finish, but hmmm...

Test Results In

Test Results Are In. Today I used this process on a 2 lb flank steak cut into two equal pieces. 1 piece was coated with Salt, black pepper garlic powder, basil, thyme, and chopped tomato. The other piece was left plain until just before grilling time when it was sprinkled with Uncle Bob's Gourmet Steak Seasoning. :ermm: The meat sat for 2 hours, which was a little longer than I wanted before rinsing, drying and grilling. Both pieces were grilled side by side, turned at the same time, and to a temperature of 145*. The meat was allowed to rest for 5 minutes. It was sliced thin across the grain.

Results: The "Dry Brined" portion was more tender than the plain piece.
The Dry Brined Piece was saltier than the plain piece, but not too salty.
No one could really detect the basil, thyme, or tomato flavor. It may have been masked in the salty taste, or just blended into the overall flavor. While the plain piece was very good, everyone liked the Dry Brined portion better.

Conclusion, the method does work to tenderize somewhat. Don't expect to make a Silk Purse out of a Pig's Ear however!:LOL:

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!!! I did!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom