Salting a roast of beef the day before. Where do you stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Well? When do you salt, or season, your roast beef? Many different techniques out there who swear that their way is best. I have always salted just before it goes in the oven. This week, I think I will do up a sirloin tip and dry age it for 3 or 4 days, then salt it and wrap it in plastic for another day. Then slow roast at about 250. We'll see...

I season it before it goes in the oven. Even when dry brining a steak I don't do it overnight.

Rock, how do you dry age sirloin at home?

It's only for a short period. 4 or 5 days. I wrap the piece of meat in cheesecloth and change it every day. I let it sit on a plate in the fridge. I have soaked the used piece in a bit of salt water for an hour or so in a little container. Then wring it out and let it dry. But it is cheap enough to use new stuff every day. I have done this before for up to 5 days. The meat becomes smaller and darker. Then I trim some dark leathery pieces off before cooking. Over time in the fridge, the meat shrinks as it loses moisture but the end result is a more concentrated beef flavor. Not sure about tenderizing benefits. But, interesting and fun to try, none the less.

Last edited:
It's only for a short period. 4 or 5 days. I wrap the piece of meat in cheesecloth and change it every day. I let it sit on a plate in the fridge. I have soaked the used piece in a bit of salt water for an hour or so in a little container. Then wring it out and let it dry. But it is cheap enough to use new stuff every day. I have done this before for up to 5 days. The meat becomes smaller and darker. Then I trim some dark leathery pieces off before cooking. Over time in the fridge, the meat shrinks as it loses moisture but the end result is a more concentrated beef flavor. Not sure about tenderizing benefits. But, interesting and fun to try, none the less.
I'll have to give that a try sometime. Cheesecloth sounds like a good idea. I was wondering about leaving uncovered meat in the fridge.

Won't that "dry" out the meat some what (salt curing) or is it a minimal amount? Or is the purpose to concentrate the beef flavor?

Won't that "dry" out the meat some what (salt curing) or is it a minimal amount? Or is the purpose to concentrate the beef flavor?
Some do argue that it will dry out the meat some what. But, I have been reading that salting with sea salt a day ahead makes a tastier finished product and the drying out isn't an issue. I never tried that, seeing as I was always in the "never salt beef too early" camp. But, think I'll give it a go this week. I have started a roast in the fridge today and plan to salt it Saturday and eat it Sunday. I am using a 7 dollar Sirloin Tip roast I bought on sale so worst case scenario is it gets use up for other stuff like soup or shaved for sandwiches.

Last edited:
Salt on its own definitely dries the meat. I think dry aging and salting at the same time will give a...very dry result =/

At the same time, you might try brining the whole thing and use osmosis to pump moisture inside your sirloin, but what's the point of dry-aging then?

Anyway, I'd give it a shot! You will then know it all once and for all :D

Good luck!

Salt on its own definitely dries the meat. I think dry aging and salting at the same time will give a...very dry result =/

At the same time, you might try brining the whole thing and use osmosis to pump moisture inside your sirloin, but what's the point of dry-aging then?

Anyway, I'd give it a shot! You will then know it all once and for all :D

Good luck!
Yeah. I feel the same way. The salt is only applied 24 hours before. And I have read more than a few times that people like it done this way, so I figured I would try for fun. There will still be lots of mashed potatos, gravy, vegetables and salad if it turns out inedible. lol

Back
Top Bottom