"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Searing beef

Hi everyone,
Ok, the last time I seared beef was for my beef stew dish. I cooked it twice already! But now I have a question about searing the meat. I have a small all clad skillet that I seared the meat in.

But, because my skillet wasn't too big I had to do it in about three batches. As I got to the third batch I noticed that the meat was getting blacker and blacker even though I cooked it for the same amount of time and the skillet did seem a little dry (like there was no more oil). Then I started thinking, I haven't been putting more cooking oil in between batches and left over scrapes were still in the skillet between the batches too making the bottom of the skillet blacker and blacker as well.

Should I have been adding more cooking oil and/or should I have cleaned the skillet between batches? I've heard you shouldn't add oil to a very hot pan so someone enlighten me! Thats for your advice in advance!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Head Chef

I would add a little oil each time. I try to keep the pan hot, but not too hot so as to burn. Is your beef floured? Sometimes I've done this and the flour burns by the time I've gotten to the last batch. It's good to have brown bits to scrape up for the sauce, but not black! (In my experience)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

It's perfectly acceptable to add oil to a hot pan. As a matter of fact, it's preferred.

The oil is key to the searing process as it acts to transmit heat from the pan to the meat more efficiently.

I do not flour meat for stews and braises because the flour can burn.

After searing the three batches of meat, you should deglaze the skillet with some of the liquid that is going into the stew so you can save all the flavor stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Also, if you are using a dutch oven, consider searing the meat there instead. Saves cleaning another pan and the deglazing process.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I've never fully understood why you should add flour to the meat when your searing it. I've always thought it would just burn off. I just added the flour to the stock directly. But then I'm a total beginner when it comes to cooking. So don't take my word for it.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Head Chef

I don't do that anymore because of it burning. I think folks do it so it creates a bit of a crust on the meat, or helps to thicken the sauce like a roux. Now, I just brown the meat "naked." (haha, the MEAT is naked, wait, that sounds even worse...)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinq View Post
I've never fully understood why you should add flour to the meat when your searing it. I've always thought it would just burn off. I just added the flour to the stock directly. But then I'm a total beginner when it comes to cooking. So don't take my word for it.
You're right.

When you flour meat before you sear it, you sear the flour and not the meat, which defeates the purpose.

Tags
None