"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Shelf life of cooked roast beef

OK, so I cooked 2 eye of round roasts, to slice up for deli meat. Not a very tender cut, but sliced thin it is quite nice.

My hands aren't strong and my DH has shakes, so I borrowed a slicer from a co-worker.

My question has to do with how long do you keep cooked beef in the fridge? I am old enough to say that not one person in my life ever got food poisoning from refrigerated meats, and my rule of thumb has always been about a week. After that, I feel I'd rather discard it.

But I know people who have cooked large roasts and eaten off of them for as long as 2 weeks with no problems or issues.

These days, they tell you 3-4 days when you look it up. I have an opinion that some organizations tend to overreact and over-exaggerate things in today's world, and I thought I'd like some input from people, real people, about their experiences and rules regarding this.

As I said, I know people who keep it longer than I do, and they've never had food poisoning or illness. I've had this cooked beef in the fridge (hasn't been out once), wrapped in foil, for 5 days as of tonight, when I plan to slice and freeze in single portions for sandwiches.

Any input is appreciated.

Deb555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi. I'd keep it for about a week. If you don't think it will be eaten by then, freeze some.

People often don't realize it when they have food poisoning. They expect any symptoms to follow immediately after eating something bad, but symptoms often take up to a week to show up. Then people dismiss it as "stomach flu." There's no such thing

Welcome to Discuss Cooking

Old 05-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb555 View Post
...I've had this cooked beef in the fridge (hasn't been out once), wrapped in foil, for 5 days as of tonight, when I plan to slice and freeze in single portions for sandwiches...
Since you're close to your one-week deadline, you might want to use the meat for more options than just roast beef sandwiches. Make (or buy a jar of) beef gravy and freeze some slices in the gravy, all set for hot beef sandwiches. Or simmer some sliced beef in BBQ sauce (we use a KC Masterpiece sauce and marinade because it has a lot less sugar) and make BBQ beef sandwiches - really good on brioche or Hawaiian style rolls. Either of these options don't require nice, full slices of beef - a bonus if you can't cut slices by hand nicely. (Yup, voice of experience)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Personally, I think you loose a lot of flavor after about 3 or 4 days so I'd freeze it now.

Great ideas above from Cooking Goddess.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the input.

I did take into consideration the "stomach flu." thing when I posted, and it's not ever been an issue. I started several explanations, but really, I think you'll never agree with me, it's just our experiences are different.

My idea is to slice tonight, and freeze individual portions, so that when we need them, the only thing defrosted is what we'll use that day. Sounds like a week is not outrageous...

The only alternative we have to sandwiches (using sugar-free whole wheat bread) is hot on a plate with vegetables on the side. No gravies, no Hawaiian rolls, no brioche, no potatoes, no bbq sauce, etc, allowed. It's unfortunate. Oh, I could cut into strips for salads, though.

While we have many dietary restrictions, our cholesterol is aces, so sandwiches with mayo made with that SF WW bread are OK.

What I was really curious about is do people really throw out anything over 4 days old or, like my family and everyone I know, do people keep it longer than that. And I'm not talking 2 weeks, either, like a couple of people I know, but I got to wondering about how many others there were like us out there. Looking for vindication, I guess, LOL.
Deb555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

What I was really curious about is do people really throw out anything over 4 days old or, like my family and everyone I know, do people keep it longer than that. And I'm not talking 2 weeks, either, like a couple of people I know, but I got to wondering about how many others there were like us out there. Looking for vindication, I guess, LOL.

My husband sees leftovers differently than I do. He will eat most anything sometimes slightly over a week old, but three days is my limit. After three days most food just doesn't taste good to me anymore, although I'm sure it's not going to make me sick, I don't have to eat it so I don't.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I did take into consideration the "stomach flu." thing when I posted, and it's not ever been an issue. I started several explanations, but really, I think you'll never agree with me, it's just our experiences are different.
I don't base my answers to questions like this on my own personal experiences because anecdotes don't prove anything. The fact is that many people - note I'm not referring specifically to you - don't connect cause and effect very well if they have an upset stomach, they're very unlikely to think it's from a 10-day-old piece of meat they ate a week ago. It's interesting that you're so certain that people you know have never done this.

I'd get it wrapped up and in the freezer
Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Personally, I think you loose a lot of flavor after about 3 or 4 days so I'd freeze it now.
My experience is the same. Deli sliced roast beef just starts to taste bad sooner than other deli meats.

CD
Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

My idea is to slice tonight, and freeze individual portions, so that when we need them, the only thing defrosted is what we'll use that day. Sounds like a week is not outrageous...

The only alternative we have to sandwiches (using sugar-free whole wheat bread) is hot on a plate with vegetables on the side. No gravies, no Hawaiian rolls, no brioche, no potatoes, no bbq sauce, etc, allowed. It's unfortunate. Oh, I could cut into strips for salads, though.

While we have many dietary restrictions, our cholesterol is aces, so sandwiches with mayo made with that SF WW bread are OK.

I think your idea of freezing portions, and thawing them right before you consume them is a good one.

I am also a big believer in the sniff test. My big Italian honker is pretty good at detecting bad food.

CD
Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

lol... sometimes I don't even know how long something has been in the fridge. Foods in sauces or something similar will make me much more cautious. I feel they will turn far easier/faster.

I fully agree with Kayelle though, after a while it loses its taste.

freezing has its own taste problems - so a type of sauce is a good idea. With your restrictions perhaps you could try a simple 'au jus'.

If you are undecided you could also just freeze the 2nd roast to cook later.

BTW, welcome to DC!

Tags
beef, cook, roast