Shepard's Pie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OP is probably too scared to venture an opinion by now!

Seriously, the pie should just be the meat of your choice, in a gorgeous savoury gravy, with vegetables of your choice and all under a sublime mashed potato top.

(Personally, it's the gravy that makes this dish for me - it has to be properly dark and rich.) :)

If you put a dough crust on it instead of mashed potatoes it would be a ____ pot pie. (Insert the name of the appropriate meat).

When serving layered in a pan use browned ground beef and gravy, corn and mashed. Add a little cornstarch slurry to the corn and beef mix. When it oven cooks it sort of binds it together so you can dish it out with a spatula in squares[Like lasagna] Pipe potatoes on with a pastry bag in swirls and when it comes out of the oven,put it under the broiler until the ridges in the potatoes turn brown. Makes a nice presentation.Any leftovers would be a fine substitution.

Last edited:
I never ate this until I had a roommate from Quebec. It was the Sunday evening dinner dish in the winter. But, it was neither Shepard's pie nor cottage pie, it was
Pâté chinois.

And this was how it was made, but without the cheese.

Pâté chinois au fromage en grains Recettes | Ricardo

And, it was made with ground beef. In my family, we never ate the tater-tot ground beef hotdish/casserole (regional, in northern MN it was a hotdish), but I have many recipes for the same in the numerous cookbooks I have from the US.

Last edited:
I never ate this until I had a roommate from Quebec. It was the Sunday evening dinner dish in the winter. But, it was neither Shepard's pie nor cottage pie, it was
Pâté chinois.

And this was how it was made, but without the cheese.

Pâté chinois au fromage en grains Recettes | Ricardo

And, it was made with ground beef. In my family, we never ate the tater-tot ground beef hotdish/casserole (regional, in northern MN it was a hotdish), but I have many recipes for the same in the numerous cookbooks I have from the US.
I like This recipe !

To make a Shepherds pie use lamb .

As I said earlier, Wikipedia has a slightly different take: Cottage or shepherd's pie

Quote:
Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato.[1][2][3][4]

The term cottage pie is known to have been in use in 1791,[2][5][6] when the potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor (cf. "cottage" meaning a modest dwelling for rural workers).

In early cookery books, the dish was a means of using leftover roasted meat of any kind, and the pie dish was lined with mashed potato as well as having a mashed potato crust on top.[7][8]

The term "shepherd's pie" did not appear until 1877,[2] and since then it has been used synonymously with "cottage pie", regardless of whether the principal ingredient was beef or mutton.[1][4][6][7][8][9][10] More recently, the term "shepherd's pie" has been used when the meat is lamb,[11][12] the theory being that shepherds are concerned with sheep[13] and not cattle[14][15][16] (see folk etymology).

Even the American cookbook, Joy of Cooking, says it's Shepherd's pie with lamb and cottage pie with beef.

I never had it before I came to Quebec and like CWS, I had paté Chinois. I put the cooked, seasoned ground meat on the bottom, then a layer of frozen corn kernels (I don't bother to defrost them), then a layer of mashed 'taters. I make little "swoops" in the top of the taters and dot it with butter. It's really good, whether I use minced beef or lamb.

When I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical, their cafeteria made 'cottage pie' and it was horrible. The head cook was from the Caribbean. When she put it together, she dumped the carrots, peas and corn in frozen, mashed instant potatoes on top and placed the whole thing in the oven to heat up. When served, the veggies were still in their raw state. You could tell the potatoes were instant. Very little gravy. I had it once and couldn't eat it.

I was surprised because the majority of employees were medical personnel and used to eating in fine upper scale establishments. :angel:

I don't go by Wiki I am afraid I go by years of English family tradition . Recipes of course evolve but when that takes you to different ingredients then its no longer a Shepherds Pie .

Wouldn't be the first time Wikipedia was wrong. I was looking up dual flush toilets and they claim they were invented by an Australian in 1980. I used dual flush toilets in Denmark in the '50s.

The way my roommate in Quebec made it was to always use canned creamed corn. I personally have never made it--just ate it. The homemade tomato ketchup/chow-chow was superb with it.

Back
Top Bottom