Shepherd's Pie in Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
Since I got my dutch oven I've been wanting to make sheperd's pie. I used to think sheperd's pie was 3 layers, ground meat, corn, and mashed potatoes. But upon searching I see the it is actually just meat with any number of veggies mixed, and them mash on top. I prefer the 3 layer variety, but am not opposed to mixing some in with the meat either. Also I will be using ground beef and not lamb, which apparently is cottage pie. Anyone have a TNT dutch oven 3 layer cottage pie recipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
A dutch oven is a good pot to use for shepherd's pie if you don't use the lid. You have to leave it open so the top can brown a bit.

Shepherds pie is made with lamb , Cottage pie is made with beef , no they are not made in layers it's just the meat mixed with veg (usually peas and carrots ) topped with mash . Worcestershire sauce great in either when added to the meat veg mix .

PS what is a dutch oven ?

A Dutch oven is a big heavy pot with a lid. Those with feet are for use in an outdoor fire. However, LeCrueset pots are also Dutch ovens (OK, they call them French ovens but what would you expect from a French company).

Yes, that looks like the one!
The way my friends in Quebec made it was a layer of seasoned ground beef, 1/2 cream-style corn, 1/2 corn, a layer of mashed potatoes on top, and a sprinkle of paprika--no cheese, no peas, no green peppers, no canned soup. Served with homemade catsup (I think TaxLady posted an authentic Quebec-style catsup recipe--might be a recipe in the files for tourtiere). That's the way restaurants around here make it as well. Being you are in VA, it makes sense it made it south of the border into VA given the number of folks from Quebec who went down to work in the lumber industry years ago.

GQ--Lamb is not as readily available in Canada (nor is it cheap), so it is no surprise that beef was substituted in it and the name stayed the same. The Italian immigrants to NA had to substitute ingredients to recreate familiar dishes, which is why there is NA-style Italian cooking where traditional Italian recipes were adapted to use ingredients available.

It depends on which variation you like. The only cottage/sheppard's pie I've had or made is the Quebec version:

Pâté chinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't recall ever eating it when growing up in MN. The closest dish would have been tater tot-hamburger hot dish.

Hotdish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pâté Chinois - that's the one I know. The variation is mostly in the seasoning of the meat. I just throw a layer of frozen corn on top of the meat and then the mashed potatoes. Winter comfort food, even though I never had it as a child.

Last edited:
I think shepherd's pie was originally made to use up scraps of leftover roast lamb.
Spot on M, it was a Monday night staple for Mum, she would mince the left over lamb(sunday lunch) with the veg, work in the gravy then top with mash and bake.When we had beef on Sunday Mum would mince it and make the sauce for Lasagne with it.

Here is my TNT for Shepards Pie. I get periodic requests for this from the family.

Shepherd's Pie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Gourmet
Yield: 10 servings

Ingredients:

For the potatoes:
2 lbs. russet potatoes
1/2 cup milk
2 ounces butter, 1/2 stick
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the meat filling:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
6 ounces baby peeled carrots, 1/2 package, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. ground beef
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 ounces tomato paste, 1 small can
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, fresh or dried
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, fresh or dried
3 whole allspice berries, ground
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 cup fresh or frozen English peas

Directions:

1. Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Place in a medium stock pot and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Place the milk and butter into stand mixer bowl. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then transfer to the mixer bowl. Using the leaf blade, mash the potatoes and then add the salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

3. While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a deep saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the beef, salt and pepper and cook until browned and well done. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly until the sauce is thickened slightly.

4. Add the corn and peas to the beef mixture and spread evenly into a large oval casserole. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.

So, forty-calliber: you're a Star Wars Fan? I searched for Mos Eisley on Google Earth, and it actually took me to the center of the Atlantic Ocean and stopped. Guess it hasn't gone as far as planet Tatooine. (hehe)

I think there may be a law against putting tomato paste in shepherd's pie, but am not sure.....:).

My family always cooked the ground beef with just onions, s&p....boring. Yours sounds better. Thanks for recipe!

I think lamb is going on my grocery list for September. My SIL and GS love lamb, and a big pan of Shepher's Pie sounds like it is in order. Now you all have my mouth watering.

When sitting outside with my daughter, she mentioned that she misses cooking the most. She is getting so bored just sitting around. Maybe I will take the ingredients to her house and teach her how to make this wonderful dish. She can sit and peel the potatoes for me. It will help her feel useful. :angel:

I like to make sure the mashed potatoes are a touch oversalted. I also like to add a gravy packet to the ground beef. A touch of butter or a LITTLE water to the mix but KEEP IT THICK. It's more flavorful and sits up nicely, instead of on the bottom of your plate.

I typically buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies from the supermarket and mix that in for the entire vegetable portion. I think it includes corn, carrot, green beans, and maybe peas.

I'm not afraid to add cheese on top of the potatoes and get it bubbling at the end. Just make sure your cheese isn't too salty or you'll need to back off the salt in the potatoes.

It should only take a little over an hour, since most of your ingredients can go into the oven while still warm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom