Shoulder steak marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
Hi everybody. I was hoping somebody had a good recipe for a marinade for shoulder steak that does NOT call for brown sugar. (I dont like sweet tasting meat.) Thanx in advance. :)

I don't usually measure a bunch, but I toss in some red wine, a bunch of minced garlic, some oil and depending on what other flavors I want, either some herbs (thyme maybe) or some soy sauce.

Do you need more specific measurements? I'd need to know how much steak you were marinating.

Alix and Andy M.--just curious, why did you each choose the type wine (red/white) you did? Just preference, or some more in depth reason?

Soy sauce, garlic, minced ginger, worcestershire sauce, a tad of sugar, coarse black pepper, olive oil.
Marinate it. Put coarse black pepper on the surface and hit it with a meat mallet a bit to "embed" it.
Grill medium rare. Slice very thin and on the bias.

bullseye said:
Alix and Andy M.--just curious, why did you each choose the type wine (red/white) you did? Just preference, or some more in depth reason?

I usually use dry sherry in Asian marinades but most people don't have that around. White wine would work better with Asian flavors than red.

bullseye said:

I prefer the flavour of red wine in a beef marinade. I feel it has more character. Just my opinion though.

Porterhouse need NO tenderizing. They are the next tenderest cut of beef on the cow to the filet. In fact, half of the porterhouse IS a tenderloin.
Grill and enjoy!! I do not even like to marinate good tender steaks. The meat stands alone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom