Simmering shin of beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I'm braising, I always bring to a boil as fast as I can then reduce the heat to a simmer.

lol, you have to kick them to get them really tenderized first.

j/k, arg.

i suppose that since you'll be braising them for a long time, and they have a lot of connective tissue, you would bring the liquid to a boil (for various reasons: to boil off alcohol, to break down ingredients to empart their flavors, etc.).

from what i've cooked, you add something to a cold liquid then bring to a braise or simmer is when the protein is delicate, and/or is tender enough that you wouldn't want to destroy it or cause it to tighten up.

something like a flaky fish, or italian baccala that is simmered is started in a cooler/cold liquid or they'll fall apart or get tough, respectively.

:chef:

hopefully, one of the pros will expand on this or correct me if i'm wrong.

Simmering, braising and stewing are very similar.

Simmering refers to how hot a liquid is. It's just below boiling with bubbles rising to the surface not like boiling. There are fewer bubbles and they as slower.

Braising is used for larger pieces of meat that are partially submerged in a liquid, typically about 2/3 of the way. Think pot roasts.

Stewing is for smaller pieces such as beef stew where there is more liquid and the pieces are completely submerged.

Back
Top Bottom