Simple Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Sounds delicious mind sharing your beef stew recipe?

Jessica asked for my beef stew recipe and when I thought about it I realized that it wasn't written down anywhere. I've made it so many times that now I just make stew without really thinking about it...goes something like this.

Ingredients:
2 pounds chuck roast, closely trimmed and cubed
2 pounds small red potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 stalk celery roughly chopped
1/2 pound of carrots peeled and roughly chopped
1 12 oz can diced tomato
1 5 oz can tomato paste
1 cup burgundy
3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
2 tablespoons butter
3-4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons herbs de provence
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Water to cover (about 4 cups)
Salt and Pepper

Do this:
Heat large iron skillet until smoking over med-high heat. Add 2 TB olive oil and immediately add beef chunks. After they begin to brown stir and continue cooking until well seared. Season with salt and pepper. Give them some room....don't over fill the pan.

Remove beef to warmed large cast iron DO. De-glaze pan with burgundy, stir and allow to reduce at the boil by about 1/2. Add remaining liquid to DO.

Return skillet to heat and add butter and remaining olive oil, when hot sprinkle with flour and stir to form roux. Continue cooking until flour is nutty brown color. Add to DO

Add vegetables, and remaining ingredients to DO and stir together. Add just enough water to barely cover.

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 3 hours. Gravy should be fairly thick and veggies fork tender. Serve piping hot with french bread on the side.

Last edited:
That does sound tasty. Haven't made beef stew in awhile. I have a recipe w/ red wine & chestnuts. Will have to make it again w/ some crusty bread soon. Thanks, .40.

your simple beef stew sounds simply delicious, 40. do you mix your own herbs de provence or can you buy it at the store as a ready made seasoning? how about if all you have at home is marjoram, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf? is that okay?

your simple beef stew sounds simply delicious, 40. do you mix your own herbs de provence or can you buy it at the store as a ready made seasoning? how about if all you have at home is marjoram, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf? is that okay?

I'm sure those seasonings would work. I really like thyme with roasts and stews. I bought a "crock" of imported french herbs de provence from Williams Sonoma and used those in this dish. We really like this blend and have refilled it a few times.

Simple, hearty, warming. Oh boy.

I'm sure you won't mind if I switch out the french bread for some biscuits.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

Our family doesn't drink wine. Do you know any substitutions for the burgundy, that will work well with this recipe & not change the flavor to terribly much.

Last edited:
Sounds very good. It's even better if you have a small herb garden and use fresh herbs in stews like this. I put a small 2x6 herb garden on my deck, so I have them 3/4 of the year. I cover it in the winter so the rosemary and thyme last most off the winter! Makes stews and soups into food for the gods!! Yum.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

Our family doesn't drink wine. Do you know any substitutions for the burgundy, that will work well with this recipe & not change the flavor to terribly much.

The wine is there to increase the umami, or savory, flavor of the dish. You can add rehydrated dried shiitake mushrooms and a little fish sauce or soy sauce to get the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom