"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Skirt steak issues

Fixed skirt steak for fajitas the other night and it was so fatty, I guess, that it was impossible to eat! But I hate to throw away meat that I've spent good money on. So, I've cut it up into tiny, tiny pieces hoping an idea would come to me while cutting. No idea came. Any suggestions?

p.s. hope this is in the correct forum. :)

Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Technically, if a fajita is made from anything other than a skirt steak, it's not a fajita! (Fajita means grilled skirt steak) Understand that there are two skirt steak cuts - an inside cut and an outside cut. Use the inside cut and simply trim away the one strip of fat on the top side. The outside cut of skirt steak has a lot more fat marbled into it and has to be braised for a long time in order to render out most of the fat, but it will still be greasy. My suggestion would be to talk to your butcher and explain what you want.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps8 View Post
Fixed skirt steak for fajitas the other night and it was so fatty, I guess, that it was impossible to eat! But I hate to throw away meat that I've spent good money on. So, I've cut it up into tiny, tiny pieces hoping an idea would come to me while cutting. No idea came. Any suggestions?

Your in the right spot.The mods usually take care of things like that. :)

Here's a link that explains "The long and skinny skirt steak".

How to cook a skirt steak. The fajita steak!

You could mix what you have now in a bowl with some fajita spices and a few dashes of olive oil.Heat in in a skillet until it's warmed.

I don't marinate flank steaks.Mix up some cajun spices,and rub it on,then grill.When it's done,cut it up against the grain.

Munky.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

Well, I think he/she needs advise what to do with now. Not for the future.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Point taken - OK then, steam it until the fat is all drained, mix in sauted chopped onion and perhaps minced sauted garlic and put it on a hamburger bun. It's called a "made-rite" and was popular in the 40s and 50s in the midwest. They were also mentioned on the television show, "Roseanne" when she opened a made-rite shop near the end of her show. It's simple, quick and not ordinary today.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I gave it..Now that I think a little more on it..How about adding tomatoes,bell peppers..red and yellow are great in fajitas.You could serve a side of spanish rice.It's not a lost cause.

And your suggestion is?

Munky.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps8 View Post

Hache Parmentier.....
Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Point taken - OK then, steam it until the fat is all drained, mix in sauted chopped onion and perhaps minced sauted garlic and put it on a hamburger bun. It's called a "made-rite" and was popular in the 40s and 50s in the midwest. They were also mentioned on the television show, "Roseanne" when she opened a made-rite shop near the end of her show. It's simple, quick and not ordinary today.
I doubt if you can steam out the fat without it completely disintegrating, as it's cut up in small pieces.

Maidrites are still very popular in Iowa. I grew up eating them especially after a "night out on the town."

A maidrite is made from ground beef simmered in beef broth. Onion is optional but a good addition.

You could indeed make this beef into a maidrite.

Or simmer it in BBQ sauce. Or use it in soup. Fry it up crispy and eat it in tacos.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Master Chef

we met maidrite (james), an excellent fellow from this site, & his lovely dear wife, barbara L., & took them to primanti's for a pgh. sammich! they went around the country meeting discusscookers last summer.

they're without internet for awhile.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Everymom

Think I'd use it as soup ingredients myself. Then chill the soup and skim off the fat. (Likely french onion) Good luck, hope you work it out.

Tags
None