Skirt steak vs. London broil Shoulder cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
One thing I am not very good at in the kitchen is knowing the different cuts of meat and when to use which. I made London Broil the other day from a shoulder cut. I paid about $4 for a pound and a half. I have made fajitas before from skirt steak which is much more expensive. My question is what is the difference between these two cuts and if I wanted to make inexpensive fajitas, could I just use the same cut I used for London Broil? Why or why not?

***edited to say maybe it was flank steak I used and not skirt steak. I really can't remember.

Thanks Rainee. That is a very helpful link. It doesn't really answer my question though.

GB, you can use any cut of meat for fajitas, as long as it's cut into very thin 'slices', and not overcooked. Skirt steak or flank steak is just what's traditionally been used. Gosh, there's a very 'yuppified' Tex-Mex place here that has tenderloin fajitas!

Thanks Marm! That is very good to know. I want to start learning how to use less expensive cuts of meat to try to make my money last as long as possible.

GB, I struggle with this too! I need to find a way to learn what kind of cuts are best--and/or most affordable--to use for all sorts of beef recipies: steaks, roasts, etc. I wasn't much of a beef eater until I married my hubby, so now I like to cook it occasionally for him. Me, I'd still take a good burger any day, but these are the things love will make you do! :LOL:

Struggle would be a very accurate word for me. For some reason I just cannot retain in my little brain what different cuts are called and what they are good/bad for.

Hey GB, do you think we could get a section for links and info like meat charts, cooking 101 etc?

Marm thanks that site is great. I have bookmarked it and will reference it often.

Rainee, unfortunately I doubt the admin would make that change. His response when we suggest things like that is that they should go in the appropriate existing category (meat charts in the beef section, cooking 101 in the general cooking or misc categories).

However placing them in those categories, they get lost or moved way to the end. People may never find them as they may not know the links exist. Having them all in one place in a bucket all their own would be more useful.

I absolutely agree with you Rainee. We have tried to bring that point up to him, but he has a different vision as to how the board should be set up. I will continue to suggest this to him though. Maybe one day he will change his mind.

He doesn't want us doing that either. He wants to reserve that function for announcements about the board.

marmalady, great site! The chart of different cuts of meat is wonderful. My family used to own an old fashioned butcher shop and we had that hanging up for customers to reference!

Just made a post re this in 'forum ideas' - if you see a site you'll want to go back to, just bookmark it into your 'favorites' on your 'puter, so you'll always have it ready.

A good example can be found at Outdoor Cooking group on MSN. The links or documents can easily be found in one or 2 places.

Back
Top Bottom