"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Chief, that sounds like what I do, well, except for the kidney beans, don't like that kind of beans.
DW doesn't like beans of any kind in her sloppy joe's, so I usually leave them out. I can put them into my recipe though, because she won't eat it. She'll only eat the Campbell's Tomato Soup and ground beef kind.

That's ok though. It leaves more for me.

I'd like to see your recipe, taxy. You always make such good stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
DW doesn't like beans of any kind in her sloppy joe's, so I usually leave them out. I can put them into my recipe though, because she won't eat it. She'll only eat the Campbell's Tomato Soup and ground beef kind.

That's ok though. It leaves more for me.

I'd like to see your recipe, taxy. You always make such good stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Why thank you Chief.

It's a pretty basic "spaghetti meat sauce". Tomatoes (I use pasata because it comes in glass), tomato paste (I found an organic one that comes in a jar) if it needs to be thicker - not always necessary with pasata, ground beef, browned with onions an garlic and maybe a hot pepper or two. Chopped bell pepper, chopped celery, parsley, oregano, (basil), and if I think of it and have an organic lemon, a slice or three of lemon rind (only the yellow part - I use the potato peeler). There could also be chopped olives in it. I might add some pepper sauce if I didn't add hot peppers or if they were too wimpy. Lots depends on my mood.

I'll have to try adding Worcestershire another time.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Head Chef

And... you can always add bacon

Bacon Sloppy Joes
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Honey Badger

Manwich sloppy joe's were pretty much a staple food for us kids when we were little.
Basically it was the only thing Mom would trust us to make on own if she was working late.

My kids refuse to eat that stuff. They prefer mine.

Hamburger - lean
ketchup
dash of mustard
fresh ground pepper
diced sweet onions
diced red & green bell peppers
dash of chili flakes
dark brown sugar or molasses

Cook the hamburger with onions and all the peppers. until fully cooked and tender.
Add the mustard, brown sugar or molasses last. Simmer for a little while on low.

Put on the protective armor and let the kids dig in.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Protective Armor = Hefty bag with head and armholes cut out.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Protective Armor = Hefty bag with head and armholes cut out.
You know it. Sloppy kids!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
That's an Italian sausage and pepper hoagie!
agreed. far from a sloppy joe.

sometimes, with the most germaine or empirical things, you just can't screw around too much or it's something else.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

Do you pick them up and eat them or use a knife and fork?

I'm a coward, I use a knife and fork!
Cheater!

Laughing

If you eat it that way it's just a "Joe"

You only live once. Go for it.

Damn the tomatoes, full speed ahead!

;)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
That's an Italian sausage and pepper hoagie!
In the link I shared, it also includes ground beef (among other ingredients), & the sausage is broken up while cooking. Your Giuseppes (sp) sound interesting.

I vaguely remember a recipe called Sloppy Josephines made with ground turkey.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Manwich sloppy joe's were pretty much a staple food for us kids when we were little.
Basically it was the only thing Mom would trust us to make on own if she was working late.

My kids refuse to eat that stuff. They prefer mine.

Hamburger - lean
ketchup
dash of mustard
fresh ground pepper
diced sweet onions
diced red & green bell peppers
dash of chili flakes
dark brown sugar or molasses

Cook the hamburger with onions and all the peppers. until fully cooked and tender.
Add the mustard, brown sugar or molasses last. Simmer for a little while on low.

Put on the protective armor and let the kids dig in.
Like the sound of your recipe Munky
Might change the chili flakes for cayenne though. Just love cayenne pepper in Sloppy Joe's!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

Sloppy Joes [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Growing up my mother always use to cook Manwich Sloppy Joe's and I use to love them[SIZE=3]! But [SIZE=3]DH doesn't like the way [SIZE=3]that [SIZE=3]Ma[SIZE=3]nwich taste but he loves [SIZE=3]him some [SIZE=3]Sloppy Joe[SIZE=3]'s so this is my recipe for cooking them[SIZE=3] without[SIZE=3] Manwich [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][CENTER][SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]1 lb[SIZE=3]. Ground Beef or Chuck ([SIZE=3]I usually use whatever is cheaper) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1 cup onion (finely chopped) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1 tbsp[SIZE=3] Prepa[SIZE=3]red Mustard [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1 cup Prepared [SIZE=3]Ketc[SIZE=3]hup Hamburger Buns[SIZE=3] [SIZE=3](Or whatever kind of bu[SIZE=3]n you would like) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Brown [SIZE=3]Beef in frying pan,[SIZE=3][SIZE=3] [SIZE=3]w[/SIZE]hile the beef is coo[SIZE=3]king add the onions so that they can [SIZE=3]start to [SIZE=3]cook. Whe[SIZE=3]n the beef is browned an[SIZE=3]d no longer [SIZE=3]pink. Drain all the fat off the beef and return back to frying pai[SIZE=3]n. On medium [SIZE=3]heat add Ketchup and Mustard and cook [SIZE=3]until everything is combined well and it starts to get thi[SIZE=3]ck. [SIZE=3]These [SIZE=3]Sloppy Joe's a[SIZE=3]re very easy and my family loves them! And they al[SIZE=3]most taste like the [SIZE=3]Manwich Sloppy Joes[SIZE=3].[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [/CENTER] [/CENTER] [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews