"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Sloppy Joes

Growing up my mother always use to cook Manwich Sloppy Joe's and I use to love them! But DH doesn't like the way that Manwich taste but he loves him some Sloppy Joe's so this is my recipe for cooking them without Manwich

1 lb. Ground Beef or Chuck (I usually use whatever is cheaper)
1 cup onion (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Prepared Mustard
1 cup Prepared Ketchup
Hamburger Buns (Or whatever kind of bun you would like)

Brown Beef in frying pan, while the beef is cooking add the onions so that they can start to cook. When the beef is browned and no longer pink. Drain all the fat off the beef and return back to frying pain. On medium heat add Ketchup and Mustard and cook until everything is combined well and it starts to get thick.

These Sloppy Joe's are very easy and my family loves them! And they almost taste like the Manwich Sloppy Joes.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Seems simple enough ! My DH loves sloppy joe's too .. will give this a try and see if I can fool him !

Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Master Chef

I agree, sloppy joes remind me of being a happy kid!

Do you pick them up and eat them or use a knife and fork?

I'm a coward, I use a knife and fork!

I make them about the same way you do. I add a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of brown sugar.

They make great pizza burgers, similar to the ones we had in the school cafeteria growing up! Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place some half buns on a baking sheet, top with a scoop of sloppy joe mixture, top with a slice of cheese and place it in the oven until the bun is brown and the cheese is melted.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, Jessica!

I wanted to have sloppy joes recently, so I bought some Manwich. UGH. Too sweet! Thanks for the alternative. I'll try that.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I usually pick them up and eat them. Although I normally drop more back onto the plate than I actually get in my mouth. Sloppy Joe's do remind me of being a kid, it was one of my favorite meals. And still is!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I add some bbq sauce to the ketchup, yellow mustard, a tsp or so worcesetershire and sometimes a spoon not packed brown sugar. One or two sticks fine chopped celery.

Things I have added not routinely-- smashed garlic, chopped bell pepper and jalapenos.

If I want chili dogs, it's about the same recipe with some chili powder and cumino added in.

I think they are called sloppy joes for a reason. I serve from the pan onto the buns already on the plate, No middle man serving dish, no silverware not as many dishes to wash. I suspect elbows on the table, but I will have to watch my manners on that one. I like potato chips as a scooper to chase around the sloppys that dribble off the bun ( a treat in my house I don't keep on hand, except for such occasions). I buy chips for egg salad sandwiche, and sloppy joes. That's about it.

Sloppy joe's is what's for dinner Friday, and probably Saturday too. Yum yum.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

We never used Manwich, as it was way too sweet for us. I like your recipe Jessica, but we always used a small can of tomato sauce and half an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix with a spoon of Dijon mustard.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

My Dear Wife likes hers made very simple; a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup, and a pound of ground beef. Yep, that's all there is to that, and she won't eat them any other way.

Me, well you all know me. I have to get complicated for it to taste good. But I get rave review from everyone but DW.

Here's how I make mine (taken from one of my cookbooks)... Oops, I don't have it with me. I'll get it and post it when I get home. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh, and much to my surprise, DW's version is might tasty. I don't know how that's possible with the simple ingredients. But it's true.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I had Sloppy Joe's once many years ago and I liked them. But I know they weren't made with Manwich.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

looks good, jessica. i haven't had a sloppy joe in a long time, but after reading this i'm craving one.

i remember my mom making them similarly simple (and delicious) as yours, but i think she added some coca cola for sweetness. i'll have to experiment. thanks.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

Sloppy Joes [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Growing up my mother always use to cook Manwich Sloppy Joe's and I use to love them[SIZE=3]! But [SIZE=3]DH doesn't like the way [SIZE=3]that [SIZE=3]Ma[SIZE=3]nwich taste but he loves [SIZE=3]him some [SIZE=3]Sloppy Joe[SIZE=3]'s so this is my recipe for cooking them[SIZE=3] without[SIZE=3] Manwich [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][CENTER][SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]1 lb[SIZE=3]. Ground Beef or Chuck ([SIZE=3]I usually use whatever is cheaper) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1 cup onion (finely chopped) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1 tbsp[SIZE=3] Prepa[SIZE=3]red Mustard [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1 cup Prepared [SIZE=3]Ketc[SIZE=3]hup Hamburger Buns[SIZE=3] [SIZE=3](Or whatever kind of bu[SIZE=3]n you would like) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Brown [SIZE=3]Beef in frying pan,[SIZE=3][SIZE=3] [SIZE=3]w[/SIZE]hile the beef is coo[SIZE=3]king add the onions so that they can [SIZE=3]start to [SIZE=3]cook. Whe[SIZE=3]n the beef is browned an[SIZE=3]d no longer [SIZE=3]pink. Drain all the fat off the beef and return back to frying pai[SIZE=3]n. On medium [SIZE=3]heat add Ketchup and Mustard and cook [SIZE=3]until everything is combined well and it starts to get thi[SIZE=3]ck. [SIZE=3]These [SIZE=3]Sloppy Joe's a[SIZE=3]re very easy and my family loves them! And they al[SIZE=3]most taste like the [SIZE=3]Manwich Sloppy Joes[SIZE=3].[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [/CENTER] [/CENTER] [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews