Slow cooker Italian beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I would like to try doing italian beef this weekend. I have never done it before. I am loking for a recipe that I can do in a slow cooker and put it up 18hrs in advance. Any advice??

Season with basil, fennel seed, majoram s&p and oregano then reseason before you serve. I have done this before but not for 18 hrs. hope this helps

You've got to have some garlic in there for the authentic italian taste.

You might add a can of petite-diced tomatoes, which will add liquid and contribute to the "Italian" concept. And, yes, add a bit of fresh garlic. You will be surprised at how much natural liquid is produced by the meat. You can use something as inexpensive as chuck roast.

Caution, if you cook it for 18 hours it will literally fall apart. You won't have any chunks.

Italian Beef is kind of a Chicago regional dish, though I'm sure it's made it beyond our wonderful city.

Requirements for this are the following:
white onions
peppercinis
garlic
oregano

Beyond that, the season is really up to you. I use salt of course, and cracked pepper, and usually some basil and thyme.

Italian beef usually uses the cheaper, tougher cuts, because that connective tissue will break down over the long cooking time. For additional flavor, you can use beef broth instead of just water.

I do a slow cooked italian beef pretty often (meat falls apart into nice shreds, then you put it into rolls for sandwiches). I always put in a jar (plus liquid) of sliced pepperoncinis.

(are you sure you want it cooking for 18 hours? Mine goes 8 hours on low or 4 on high)

I do it like this:

I put a bit of olive oil in a pot. I add the meat in chunks till it is brown. I take out the meat and reserve.

In the same oil, I add chopped onion, garlic, basil and a bit of oregano. Once the onions have soften a bit, I put back the meat. Season with salt and pepper and depending on who is eating it...I add a little dried cayenne.

I then pour a bit of red wine in the pot.

I let it cook at low fire until the meat is tender.

I sometimes also add at the same time as the onions, one big tomate, peeled and cut in small dices.

Back
Top Bottom